'96 Subaru Outback audio speakers

Gidday.

Looking at replacing my stereo system in my 96 Legacy Outback (Grand Wagon). I have the deck (JVC) and am looking for speakers. 6.5", 2 for the front doors and

2 for the back doors.

Anyone here have any recommendations? Something that'll handle 17 watts RMS x 4. Good bass. I like a not too harsh sound. Tight p[unchy full heavy bottom, smooth round mids, crisp highs. If that makes sense.

Any good brands to recommend?

-- John B

Reply to
John B

I picked up some Clarion speakers about four years ago that I've been happy with ever since. I pretty much had to, since only one speaker was functioning properly. I've since replaced the cheesy Aiwa CD player with a Kenwood unit, but even the original cassette deck wasn't so bad - it was just a cassette is all. Anyway, I can't recall the model of speakers that I purchased, but I think they were about $150/pair.

Reply to
Hallraker

Sorry to say but with 17 watts of RMS power, you're not going to get what I would call "good" bass or "tight punchy full heavy bottom".

Get in touch with crutchfield.com, they can recommend speakers that run well on low (less than 20w rms) power.

You might consider installing, or having an amplifier installed. 4 channels with about 45-60w per channel RMS. Then run some really nice speakers off the amp. Your JVC will connect to the AMP with RCA cables, and then the speakers will run off the amp.

Also, if you decide to use an amp, I'd recommend putting component speakers up front. This consists of a 6.5" midbass speaker (that goes in the factory location) and a tweeter which gets mounted elsewhere on the door panel, either by cutting a hole and using the flush mount kit that comes with the component set, or surface mounting it with the surface mount kit. You'll get much better bass and highs with separate midbass & tweeters.

-T

Reply to
TT

ta.