93 vs 06

I have a 93 about 240 hp 5.0 (weight is about 2700)

If I get a 2006 V8 about 300 hp (weight at 3500)

Will the drive the same or the 2006 be more sluggish due to the weight ?

Reply to
Chumley

Jim Warman

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:20:02 -0500, "Chumley" wrote something wonderfully witty:

If a plane leaves Ny at 600 mph and a train leaves Detroit at 200 mph. "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship." -- Alexander Tyler

Reply to
ZombyWoof

There once was a tortise and a hare.....

Reply to
formerly Nobody

Can we assume you removed some weight and added a little extra horsepower? Note: Most 5-oh cars weigh about 3,100-3,200. The '93s were rated at 215.

My guess this a 2,700 pound 240 HP 5-oh car would be quicker. In a drag race the '06 car would have to ]try] to regain ground as the mph in the race increased.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Seems to me that horsepower is only part of the equation.. I have to think that torque, gearing and suspension are going to play a significant part...

Reply to
tony

Just from a mathematical point of view,

the 93's power to weight ratio is 240 / 2700 = 0.0888888.... hp per lb. the 06's power to weight ratio is 300 / 3500 = 0.085714285... hp per lb.

So, on paper, the 93 has more horse power per pound of weight.

but then there are gear ratios and horsepower curves and torque curves and lots of other things that can skew the results.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Since the body stiffness, and vastly improved suspension on the new mustangs come into play, there will be no comparison. The new (2005-200?) mustangs don't feel sluggish compared to previous mustangs.

Go test drive one, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

They definitely don't drive the same. I own a stone stock 93 GT, 5 speed,

3.08 gear with mechanical clutch. Back on Memorial Day my wife and I took the 2006 GT / manual 5 speed for a 23 mile test drive.

Let's start with the handling. Compared to my 93 (which has had shocks, struts, and bushings installed and is tight), the new Mustang handles GREAT! At the time I said something like "This thing turns like a RACE car!". Maybe exaggeration but I really love the way the new car handles.

As far as sluggish, my 93 feels like it has more low end torque, but when you rev up that new 3V 4.6L V8, the superior horsepower is noticable. There was a post in here earlier where a guy who had just purchase a new stang was complaining about the trottle response, then answered his own post saying that with a cold air induction system and flash tune, the power was just fine.

I've just ordered my 2007 GT last Saturday and I'm eyeing the C&L CAI with the Diablo Predator tuner for an early mod. If you get a 2007 manual you have to get the 3.55 gear as an option, as 3.30 is standard for 2007.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Smith

flash tune ? what is that ? (I still only have my 93 5.0 8#, stock everything else)

Reply to
Dr Chumley

I have yet to use one myself, but a flash tuner can reprogram your car's engine computer.

Andy Smith

I had a 1988 LX 5.0, 1993 LX 5.0, 2001 GT and now a 2004 Mach-1. The 1993 was a DOG. It was at least a second slower 0-60 than the

1988. Even steeper rear end gears didn't put it in the same class as the other cars. Whatever Ford did to it in that year was "not good."
Reply to
rander3127