99 Mustang 80w/100w headlights

I was wondering if anyone out there has used the Xenon 80 watt low/100 watt high beam headlights. Was there any overheating issues with wire harness or headlight lenses?
These are not HID just a brighter Halogen filled with Xenon. I know most bulbs are 55w/65w. I just replaced my original headlights due to severe fading and don't want to do any damage.
DonTraboulsee wrote:

Head lamps and bulbs are two different questions. Overwattage bulbs can cause problems for the small gage factory wiring and headlamp switch. Then there is the problem with glare to on coming drivers.
Best thing to do is to put in a relay circuit so that the headlamps are fed full votage from the alternator/battery and use good stock replacement bulbs (GE nighthawks or sylvania xtravision). If the headlamps are cloudy then you can try polishing them or replacing them. Using a brighter bulb to compensate will just cause more problems for you with backscatter or other drivers with glare since the hazing is going to change where the light is going.
Sorry for the confusion. I have changed the headlights. Brand new ones. I would also like to change the bulbs to the 80w/100w. Do the bulbs cause overheating of wires or the plactic lense of the headlight. Also this is a Cdn car so it has daytime running lights.

Some of them are OK and won't pose a problem. Some of them from the orient have been known to just run way too hot and lens meltdowns. I've used the Xenon brand ones, they worked OK but burnt-out regularly, one would go, the other would go 3 months later. Switched to PIAAs and they lasted a bit longer but they're expensive $100cdn/pair if I remember. PIAAs do have a 1 year warrantee.
Currently using the Silverstars from CanTire for half the price of the PIAAs, haven't had to replace one yet (18 months and counting).
Oh yeah, Ima Canuck too.
--
Jafo
'02 GT Black
DonTraboulsee wrote:

I used some in my 89 and after a couple of years the excess heat/power melted and ate up the sockets. I had to replace them with new pigtails. You'd be far better off with an HID conversion kit.
--

I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

watt
want
And what does a HID kit run these days? Last time I checked they were in excess of a grand.
I used to run 100w/85 w bulbs with Bosch lenses (glass with a well defined beam pattern) but have avoided them in the 'stang because of the heat and plastic lenses issue or so I've been told. If they work and don't melt/discolor the lens let me know.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Richard wrote:

Just my opinion here, but it's probaby not a good idea to do a "retrofit" HID system. Read here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:01:41 -0400, "DonTraboulsee"

I've tried the higher wattage bulbs in two vehicles and in neither case did it seem like they improved the lights enough to notice but on one vehicle it melted the socket. And the wires going into the socket got so hot you couldn't touch them. A much better improvement can be had buy adding driving lights. I added PIAA 1500's in the spot where the original fog lights were. There is a huge difference between PIAA on and PIAA off.