HID Xenon Conversion Kits

I've seen these kits advertised which replace the standard halogen bulbs in conventional headlights with HID / Xenon bulbs. The kits come with the ballasts / transformers and a load of wiring.

Has anybody had any experience of these? Do they give more visible light etc or are they not worth bothering with? They tend to be rather expensive and I was wondering whether they were worth while or not.

I know there is a legal requirement to have a self levelling device fitted (this isn't a problem for me however, the whole car is the levelling device) but is a kit likely to give a MOT passing beam pattern etc?

-- James

Reply to
James

I think Dave Plowman may have fitted a set to his BMW, not sure if he posts here or not.

Reply to
Doki

Ronny has a set don't he?

Reply to
Dan405

Oh yes :) best mod you can fit to your car....

Legality is, shadey.

Mine had passed 2 mot's without a self leveling and using the standard Halogen lenses, I still cant afford the valeo projectors at the moment.

I have washers on the headlights, and use the H7 kit. Its like driving in the day at night lol...

Dont worry about the make of bulbs, cost should be around 60 quid each, pay upto 130 quid each for philips, I use jap 7000k and they rock, my dad has an omega and mine look better, and are nicer to drive with at night, you could fit some steel inside the lense and reduce the amount of flair, but i just lower my manual adjusment to postion II and never been flashed yet.

hth

Ron

Reply to
Ron

If you want to know where to get them from email me and I iwll give you some help.

Just MAKE sure you get Hella balasts with built in starters, dont piss about with kits with seperate starters etc.

This kit is the best IMO and the cheapest,

I have supplied people with his kits before, and all have been great. you can pay by paypal as well.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

i wanted these but can't be sure if they fit plus the beam would have to be adjust too i guess :(

Vamp

If you are putting them in a lamp that had a H4 dip and main bulb then you have to use a HID bulb with a dip shield on it, as it will only give one beam pattern and it has to be dip. Not sure about legality of not having a working main beam. I have seen some HID bulbs mounted in a H4 holder with a solenoid to move the capsule and shield between dip and main beam positions (echos of 1920/30's early electric lighting technology - the vibration destroyed filament bulbs but HID will be unaffected). Appeared (about 2 years ago!) to be not a lot dearer than normal HID bulbs, so it was much cheaper than 4 kits (2 pairs) for a quad lamp kit which would be the only other way to get both dip and main beam on HID. There may be some twin capsule HID bulbs but these will not have the right distance between light sources to give a good beam pattern in any lamp other than one designed to use them, one beam will always be so far out of focus as to be unusable. Also as the light is emitted from the whole cavity of the capsule, HID will always give a distorted beam pattern when used in a lamp/lens that was designed for a filament.

Peter Hill

is it possible to make them fit on pop up headlamps?

Reply to
Vamp

Erm, it clearly states on there that they are five times better. That means they are five times better, they wouldn't lie about a thing like that ! :)

Reply to
Lordy

But USA DOT sealed beam lamps are very poor so it's easy to get 5 times better by fitting Jap or Euro lens units. The DOT spec doesn't use beam cut off for dip just a very bad focus, so they put light out everywhere except where it's wanted.

Peter Hill

I don't and I do. ;-)

I fitted a set of angel eyes if that's what you remember.

I've been thinking about HIDs for the SD1 which has poor lights - if the price is right - but not sure if there is a bulb to fit, as the originals are twin filament. It has separate main beam lights as well so I'd be happy for the HIDs to simply stay on.

I got a spam from a Chinese company advertising them at 400 dollars, so I'd guess they'll only get cheaper. Might even have a go at making the power units if I can get hold of the bulbs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's an excellent site. I think if I were buying, I'd go there.

Reply to
Nom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yeah, I looked at that.

Would the 7000k ones still be cleaner/brighter than H4's? I've currently got 80/100's in, because Saab reflectors notoriously fade. Especially after 18-20 years. Wouldn't mind fitting new headlight bowls and lenses, and getting a decent HID setup.

BTW, how do you fit the ballasts in in a dual beam setup in to the headlight wiring loom?

I'm assuming that you need to splice into or remove the original 3 prong H4 connector plug?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo