ABS Help please desperate!!!

Hi Guys,

A "auto electrican?" has fitted a pair of Cobra tail lights to my 99GT here in England. And wired up a rear fog light. He had a slight mishap whilst fittingthem, and shorted a wire in the centre console under the arm rest. This blew fuse 29 10AMP under the dash and a big 20AMP (supplies aux power) fuse under the hood. All the lights work as they should. Cobra kit was from CAL-MUSTANG.

Main problem is that now the ABS warning light stays on.

Can you diagnose ABS faults through the OBD II connector under the dash. Does the ABS light go out on its own once the fault has been fixed or do you have to reset the computer. Can these cheap OBD II scanners I have seen on eBay do all this. Have checked and replaced all blown fuses with new ones.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I'm no electrician, the "auto electrican?" is scratching his head, and finding people in England with the knowledge or equipment to diagnose is difficult.

Thanks guys, I am really pannicking in case something major has happened.

Cheers,

JohnP.

Reply to
JohnP

ABS codes are read via the OBD2 connector... BUT, a scan tool capable of communicating with "proprietary" modules is required.

Now, here is one possible scenario.... if either of these fuses (sorry, no EVTM at home at this time) had anything to do with the ABS module, a low voltage code could be set. This code would remain in memory for many key cycles (sorry , not sure how many on your car) and would self clear once the module was sure that there is no further concern.

However (there always seems to be a "however"), we are only assuming that this is the case. And, the ABS system will not function properly if the lamp is lit. Which brings us back to the code scan... at which time the low volt code could be cleared using the tool.

I'm glad that you used parenthesis around auto electrician. Auto electrical does require above average knowledge and abilities..... unfortunately many good "general" techs don't realize their limitations and continue to cause themselves and their customers grief.

FWIW, if the ABS light wasn't illuminated when you took the car to the shop, the tech should have seen that the light was now lit and determined if it was because of his work or if it was a coincidental failure. If it was the result of his work, he should have made sure that the condition was repaired and the light extinguished.

Reply to
Jim Warman