Accel coil

Another freaking Accel Super Stock or Super Street what the hell ever coil burst itself, oil puked out on wire. Second one I've had to fail this way, this time thankfully at a gas station 5 min away. Thought first one was an anomaly, of course. Odds are somewhat against that now...

$10 non-perf. aftermarket coil that I had ran fine for a long time. All connections were just fine and dandy in all cases.

This time, I dug in my boxes and found the car's ORIGINAL 67 coil to replace it with, terminals quaintly marked "Dist." and "Batt.". Fired immediately. Thank God I don't throw much away.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I run a Petronix module. Anyone run their "Flamethower" coil?

-Jason

Reply to
67RMod

I'v used Accel coils only twice. Both failed and left me stranded. Now I use a Pertronix conversion and their flamethrower coil. It's been in there three years without problems. Of course, I only drive it

3,000 miles a year or so.
Reply to
boB

boB opined in news:413ea36a$0$74317$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetmonster.com:

Heheheheheeh... welcome to the wonderful world of aftermarket performance "snake-oil". {PLEASE note I dont put Pertronix in that category}

Guys hooted at me for installing the DurasparkII on my 65... but it never failed, and I knew that any halfway decent mech would recognize it if I ever had to have a shop work on it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, at least I know it's not ME. Sounds like I'll try the Pertronix coil and keep that OEM coil handy :). I appreciate the input; as you probably know from my posts, I am just a hobbyist mechanic...

Reply to
67RMod

i've had 4 of them blow the oil out! they were all fenderwell mounted too. i went to the mallory promaster coil. i also tried mallorys unilite conversion kit, left me on the side of the road twice. at this point i'm still running points in my 289. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Geez, from your and others' posts, it sounds like they really are crap. I will avoid them in the future.

BTW, installing my OE, 37- (on build date, prob. 38-year-old) coil has instantly stopped the mysterious surging problem no amount of carb tweaking could seem to solve, regardless of what Edelbrock told me, (brand-new Performer 600), and what my gut told me .. it ain't the carburetor. Hmm...

Reply to
67RMod

Chip Stein opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Why not install the duraspark ... they're cheap and not hard to wire in?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yep, seen it several times and the Mallory coils don't explode, but they mysteriously dry up and stop working.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I havn't seen any problems with Jacobs or MSD. I have a Jacobs system and havn't had any trouble.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I remember back in "the day" when Super Shops were all over the place the Mallory shit was all the raqe. Crap never worked right. Unilite dist left me stranded a number of times on the 70 Chevelle I had. Had one of their Coils on the blown 92 Hatch I had and it failed the guy who bought the car on his way home :-) He found a local U-Pull-It and snagged a coil from a wrecked Taurus. Got him home just fine. I kinda felt bad about that one :-)

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

Thanks for the input. I'm actually sort of glad it happened now, because as I said my mysterious surging problem was solved once I put in the OE coil. I think it was faulty from the get-go.

I've heard MSD makes good products. Interestingly, the parts store I got it from no longer carries Accel coils; they carry a similar street perf. MSD unit (hmm...)

Of course, their ohmmeter was "broken" even though the display worked and numbers popped up when he tried it on a good one, and the oil leaking out was "engine oil", and "they're supposed to slosh when you shake them". Uh-huh.

When I called him back to get the resistance specs he was supposedly looking for, "uhh... uhh... I actually need the book", and he said primary was secondary and vice-versa. "Well, what were you looking for?" BS answer. For that idiot parade and public embarrassment, that doofus's regional manager gets a call tomorrow...

Sorry, little parts-store Rambo rant there...

Reply to
67RMod

Jacobs is good stuff. His tech book is killer, but you have to read it a couple times over before it sinks in.

Reply to
CobraJet

I installed a duraspark distributor,gm module & a ford efi coil on a friends 87 mustang(5.0 conversion) I've also converted serveral fords over to the duraspark ignition without any failures to date, plus if it goes out the parts are available at any auto parts store or junkyard.

Reply to
winze

Thanks for the recommendation...

After c> I installed a duraspark distributor,gm module & a ford efi coil on a

Reply to
67RMod