Air leak? Vaccum leak? Or what?

I just bought a descent 87 lx mustang. It will run only when you stick your hand over the air intake. It seems to suck alot more air up than it should. When you take you hand off it dies. I took off the fuel intake manifold and cleaned it up, and got a new fuel filter. The EGR valve is working too but it is still doing something wierd? YOu're help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx

Reply to
jonmarois

jonmarois opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Assume you are talking about a 2.3 that wont IDLE unless you block the mouth of the throttle body

First check the PCV valve. Some aftermarkets have a bad habit of falling apart.

If it's good disconnect and plug all access vacuum lines including brake booster

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic