Automatic Transmission Fluid for 83 Mustang

Hi,

I own an 83 Mustang convertible with the 3.8 liter engine. I need automatic transmission fluid. My manual says to use Motorcraft type H. My local Ford dealer has never heard of Type H.

What should I use that is currently available?

Thanks.

gary comfort ponce inlet, fl 32127

Reply to
garycomfort

X-No-archive:yes Regarding "> Hi,

Thanks. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0gary comfort =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0po= nce inlet, fl 32127

---------------------------------------------------- I would use Type F.In fact when I used to manage various AAMCO transmission shops in the 80s that's all we used on any car as it met all manufacturers specs at the time and I'm SURE it would meet ford's.

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

DexronIII/Mercon will do.

Mercon replaced Type H...your Ford people should have known that. Mercon V is generally for later Fords - '97 or '98

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

I did a google search and found that Type H is what was specified for the C5 automatic. From another site,

it appears that you can use Mercon or Dextron III as a substitute.Your dealer should have been able to track this down.-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

Type F meeting all manufactures specs? Do you still have that memo? Type F is the not a good universal fluid as it doesn't have friction modifiers and would cause hard shifting...It's not interchangeable with Ford's Mercon (which replaced Type H)...and I don't think all those GM and many foreign cars that used Dexron would like Type F.

Then again, putting Dexron/Mercon in a Type F tranny is not optimal as it might slip too much.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Yeah... well let's not forget he said he worked for AAMCO !...

When was the last time you got good advice for your transmission from them :) ???

He didn't read the REST of the memo which instructed them to put a handfull of metal filings, and a quart of brake fluid in the customers trans !!!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Years ago, '81-'83, during my college days, I can remember inserts in with shift kits, as well as other trans parts, concerning the use of the proper fluid after installation of the parts. Type F was generally specified as the new proper fluid even for GM transmissions. The parts kits even contained tags that were to be attached to the dipstick.

I haven't rebuilt an automatic since then (and I'd rather not), so I don't have any idea what goes on nowadays with them.

| > > X-No-archive:yes | > > Regarding "> Hi, | > >

| > Type F meeting all manufactures specs? Do you still have that memo? | >

| > Type F is the not a good universal fluid as it doesn't have friction | > modifiers and would cause hard shifting...It's not interchangeable | > with Ford's Mercon (which replaced Type H)...and I don't think all | > those GM and many foreign cars that used Dexron would like Type F. | >

| > Then again, putting Dexron/Mercon in a Type F tranny is not optimal as | > it might slip too much. | >

| > DP | > Pics of the cars: | >

| | Yeah... well let's not forget he said he worked for AAMCO !... | | When was the last time you got good advice for your transmission from them | :) ??? | | He didn't read the REST of the memo which instructed them to put a handfull | of metal filings, and a quart of brake fluid in the customers trans !!! | | |

Reply to
SWG

IIRC, somewhere around the late 70s/early 80s Ford started specing Dexron/Mercon...... these days, it should be written on the stick whether the spec is for Mercon, Mercon V or Mercon SP....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I agree that shift kits and other racing/performance upgrades recommend Type F since it will give you harder shifts and less slippage.

But saying a chain of shops that generally focus on quantity - not quality - on non-performance oriented daily transportation used Type F on any car because it met all manufacturer's specs just didn't sound right. DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

X-No-archive:yes >Yeah... well let's not forget he said he

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But I never forgot the main lesson.That AAMCO actually stands for "All Automatics Must Come Out" ! Brian

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

And, the B&M Trick Shift Fluid, the blue stuff, is a Type F product.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"All Automatics Must Come Out"

That's a good one!!

All hail the corporate money machine. DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale