Bad connotations? Chrysler

Chrysler Shuns Marketing Deal With Dukes of Hazzard Movie

InsideLine/Edmunds Friday, June 17, 2005

Chelsea, Mich. - The Chrysler Group will not tie in any marketing of its 2006 Dodge Charger with the upcoming movie, The Dukes of Hazzard, because it is afraid the display of the Confederate flag on the movie's vintage Charger will offend some viewers.

The movie, scheduled to open August 5, is based on the TV series that ran from 1979 to 1985 and featured "good old boy" cousins eluding authorities in The General Lee, a

1969 orange Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on the roof. The movie stars Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson.

"They gave us the treatment for the movie and talked about a marketing deal, but we said we can't participate if you keep the Confederate flag," Jason Vines, Chrysler Group vice president of communications, told Inside Line. "It's offensive to a lot of people. But they [Warner Bros.] said 'no.' We still get a mention of the Charger in the movie, but we couldn't do anything beyond that."

The Confederate battle flag, also called the Southern Cross, has been at the center of controversy for years. It has been described as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation. The Southern Poverty Law Center says more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.

What this means to you: The General Lee rides again, but Chrysler doesn't want anything to do with it.

RichA

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:10:04 -0400, RichA wrote: Thats silly. That flag is a naval battle flag, and part of the battle flag for the army of northen virgina... I mean come on, its a flag. Get over it ppl, if chrysler wants to avoid racial problems with it, then remind people there were black confederate soldiers who faught in the ACW...... I will say this I saw the trailer for the movie this weekend and it looks pretty good, they jump every damn thing in site..... Oh well I prefer my mustang if I can get it repaired.

Lee

Reply to
Lee A.

Personally, I think the new Charger is more offensive (taking into account it's noble past) than any painted flag.

Reply to
RichA

"Lee A." wrote

I'd prefer jumping Jessica Simpson.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Of course, displaying the rebel flag is so much more offensive than any manner of gore or degenerate behavior...

This PC stuff gives me a pain in the ass.

Reply to
SVTKate

Corporate America lives in mortal fear of offending anyone. It's one reason that movies are in the worst slump they've been in ever. Everything is safe, unchallenging, PC.

Reply to
RichA

except graphic violence

: >This PC stuff gives me a pain in the ass. : Corporate America lives in mortal fear of offending : anyone. It's one reason that movies are in the worst : slump they've been in ever. Everything is safe, unchallenging, : PC. :

Reply to
SVTKate