Look Out, Toyota, Chrysler's Got a Secret Weapon!

GM and Ford are doing the Employee Discount thing but Chrysler's bringing out the heavy artillery...

Lee Iacocca? He Plans to Pitch Chryslers Again By DANNY HAKIM Published: July 6, 2005 DETROIT, July 6 - Chrysler is bringing back the original General Lee.

No, not the one from the "Dukes of Hazzard," but Lee Iacocca, the retired Chrysler chairman. The company said today that Mr. Iacocca would return to Chrysler, a division of German automaker DaimlerChrysler, to do what he does best, pitch cars in commercials. At least that's the plan....

:-) I remember those commercials. However, I also remember the K-car and I'm quite sure that the K stood for Krap. We test-drove one, an '82-ish wagon. There were several obvious problems in the interior alone (seat adjustment was already broken, for one thing) and the seat fabric was the cheesiest stuff I'd ever seen. I got in, started it, looked around the interior and shut it back off. We bought a Cavalier instead (and were pretty happy with ti).

Gott hand it to Iacocca, though, Chrysler survived climbed out of debt. Add in his history with the Mustang and you'd have to say that Iacocca knew something about the car business.

Reply to
dh

Oooo I'm scared

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news:42cc8e50$0$20517$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

But they haven't said what cliff he's going to pitch them off of. I wanna be there, deck chair, six-pack, shades and all.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Broken Transmissions?

Reply to
hachiroku

NO manufactures new, politically correct, vehicles were any good during the change over time to FWD vehicles. The only vehicles that were any good where the ones built on the older chassis. Go to any old car show and see what is still around from that time and you will see what I mean LOL

mike hunt

dh wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt2

Chrysler need not worry about Toyota. Toyota needs to worry about Honda catching up to them. Toyota sold 195,000 and Honda sold

176,000 in June. Chrysler sold 238,000 vehicles in June, they want to catch up to the big guys. GM sold 551,000 and Ford nearly 300,000 ;)

mike hunt

"Wickeddoll®" wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt2

The Aries K station wagon was my Family's first Chrysler. It was an 86 model. That thing worked hard till the day some drunk hit it while it was parked on a street in 97 (completely devastated it, the drunk was killed too). No problems at all. My dad was sold on Chryslers, bought a 96 Plymouth Voyager and the engine would die while cruising at 50mph.. Chrysler finally replaced the engine and all was well. Chrysler is such a hit or miss brand. I wish I could defend it. I owned a Durango for 5 years, it was rock solid till the tranny started slipping before I traded it in on a new 4runner. Now I am seriously considering the new Charger.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

IMO, Crapsler, Ford and GM are all hit and miss. You have a 50% chance of getting a good one--which means a 50% chance of getting a bad one. A sign of poor quality control.

My folks owned 2 Chevy Celebritys. The '86 was dependable, but was totalled in an accident when it was less than two years old; the '87 was garbage from day 1. My brother and my folks both owned Grand Prix's ('90 and '94 respectively). The '94 was reliable--for the first 60k miles; the '90 was junk from the beginning.

That's why I favour Toyota and Honda--you have a better chance of getting a good one than with the big 3.

Reply to
S.S.

You are entitled to you own opinion, but not you own facts. 50% indeed, the fact is all manufactures failure rate falls in the 2% range. Your change of NOT getting one of the bad ones from ANY ONE of them in 98%.

mike hunt

"S.S." wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

That is a misuse of statistics. The truth is that ALL automobiles have a

100% failure rate over the life of the car. It would be a rare thing indeed if a car went from new to being scrapped without ever needing anything fixed beyond routine scheduled maintenance.

Even initial defect statistics indicate most vehicle models have greater than 1 defect shortly after delivery. Of course, you have to decide if that that falls within your definition of "failure."

Without precise definition of terms, it is useless to throw numbers around.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

You are correct, but you are comparing apple to oranges. Generally when considered in context the reference refers to the average user. In the US the average new vehicle buyer replaces their vehicle, with another new vehicle, in three to four years. The recent J D Powers survey was of 51,000 owners of 2002 models, three to four years old. In that context the failure rate among ALL manufactures falls within 2%. When one speaks of vehicles seven to fifteen years old they are referring to those purchased used, not new. J D Powers etc. do not survey those buyers since only an extraordinary small percentage of the annual 17,000,000 new vehicle buyers, with cars in age that range, bought their vehicle new.

mike hunt

Merritt Mullen wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

I see a hell of a lot more older Toyotas and hondas on the road (being used in a functional manner) than I do of any of the big 3 or Hyundai and others.. I don't see many 95 Pontiac Grand Prix's like I used to own. OTOH, I see a lot of Honda's and Toyota's from that year.

That to me is the best yardstick to measure reliability by. I see old Chrystlers, Ford and Chevys broken down on the side of the road or rotting away on a used car lot. And since GM is the NUMBER ONE selling vehicle line then I should see a lot more of THEM (working) from older years. But I don't.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Different people see different things (selective vision maybe?). I almost never see one of the older boxier Camry's around here, but I know they were very popular when new. And I almost never see a T100 Toyota Truck. On the other hand, the roads (and yards) are full of 10 and 15 year old F150s and Silverados (I persoanlly have a 13 year old F150). The most common 12+ year old cars I see are old Tauri and Crown Victorias. Probably 90% of the taxi's around here are Crown Vics (many from the 1992 -1995 era). The old Tauri seem to be very popular with lower income individuals. I suppose there are lots of used parts available.

And for grins I do notice cars along side the road. I guess I'll have to start keeping count. But my impression is that the largest number of cars parked alnog side the Interstate I drive to work are Toyotas.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Duh- I never owned a 95 Grand Prix (had an 84) . I guess I meant to say

95 chevy blazer. But that doesn't make sense either, 'cause chevy changed the blazer for 95 and they are pretty much the same for the next 4 - 6 years so I wouldn't know how old they are anyway.. 8>(

Can I have my mulligan on that one??? 8>)

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You don't get out much do you? LOL

mike hunt

Charles Pisano wrote:

since GM is the NUMBER ONE selling

Reply to
SilimPicikens

Geesh...

I made an innocent post in the alt.chevy.trucks group about the chevy astro van and one guy told me to hit the road. Does that mean all the Toyota haters on this board have to hit the road?

Can't say anything bad about 'merican cars .. y'all

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I think you misunderstood his request for you to go play in the freeway.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Well, I've seen more than one Ass----tro van with over 200,000 miles, most of them in good shape, a few suffering from NorthEast Cancer, very few blowing smoke or running rough.

Seems GM can get something right once in a while.

Reply to
hachiroku

Buying any car is like getting a pet, it's gonna die before you do. Accept it, take care of it, our angst over how it was built or born makes no difference. I'll trust my Corolla, alhough I've had cars fail on the road with no warning, such as when an accelerator cable snaps, the pedal goes to the floor, who knew? And the '62 Galaxie 500 that blew something, over-heated and dropped dead on the highway, although carefully treated and maintained, happened in a heart-beat. (I miss that car) Get one that's expected to be reliable, take care...then fingers crossed, don't obsess.

Reply to
mmward