Bade Vibes

I'm having a little vibration problem with my 95 GT (manual) and I was wondering if any of the wonderful people in this forum could give me some pointers as to what things to look for and check to narrow down the problem. The only information I can give is the vibration increases with speed and the shifter shakes. I had the harmonic balancer changed about a year ago and the symptoms seem a little different this time, although I wouldn't consider myself expert enough to diagnose that as the problem again.

If anyone could give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

AquaPlano.

Reply to
AquaPlano

AquaPlano opined in news:S%iQa.53195$ye4.39847@sccrnsc01:

Ah... now is a good time to learn to search google.com. It will be REAL valuable as a resource.

go there, pick "groups", enter this group and use various search terms...

"aluminum driveshaft" will get the answer you probably want

I DONT know, firsthand, that it fixes your problem, I had to use the old method... which I wont disclose because it could be dangerous.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

First, you need to decide if the vibration is coming from then driveline or the suspension. Get the car up to speed to where you feel the vibration, preferably going down hill. Then put it in neutral. If the vibration persists, it's most likely suspension/tires/wheels/etc. Usually if it's speed sensative it's suspension; rpm sensative and it's driveline. Of course, there are exceptions. If it's worse under load, it's driveline. Check the U-joints first; it's cheap and easy. While you're at it, check so see if there's any damage to the drive shaft - missing weights, dents, twists, etc. If your u-joints and drive shaft are in good shape, swapping to an alum drive shaft won't change anything. Next, check the driven accessories on the front of the engine. Take the belt off and and check the pulleys. Sometimes you'll find some play in one of them, and you'll have to replace the component. Drive it for a SHORT TIME with the belt off. It will overheat quickly, so watch it. That should narrow it down for you pretty quickly. If all those tests don't come up with an answer, consider the clutch or transmission.

Reply to
.boB

Just wanted to thank all who replied! It was indeed the u-joints and after an hour of work and one and half hours of testing, the vibration seems to have dissapeared! Well after 90,000 miles I suppose it could do with some drive-line tidying up! :)

Thanks again all. It's a great newsgroup,

AquaPlano

Reply to
AquaPlano

AquaPlano opined in news:H1LQa.55653$GL4.14399@rwcrnsc53:

Hmmm... musta missed the part about "clank" going from reverse to fwd and V- v..

But maybe that doesnt always happen.... just to me.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic