Battery Charge

Got the beast put away for the winter and a battery charger for XMas. Last year I just let the battery sit inside the house with all good intentions of getting a charger but never did.

The manual stresses to charge it in a well ventilated area. I wish I knew what their idea of a 'well ventilated area' is. Would it be safe to have a trickle charge on my battery down in the basement? It's in a room approx 10x12 and 8 ft tall or would it be better if I just wait until spring and then charge the battery outside in the unheated garage when it's not as cold (-30C).

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

'01 GT Electric Green FIPK

Reply to
Jeff M

Rein

well even when the battery isn't being drawn from the acid inside is eating at the plates inside it. (Several metal plates make up a cell and you have 6 cells which produce about 2.2 volts each) Every battery has a predetermined life and the acid will eat at those plates for only so long. The only way to slow this down is put the battery on a trickle charge in a cold climate. (unheated and insulated garage) The military actually use to do this dunno if they still do or not but they would put them in big freezers until they were ready to be used. That is your best bet.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Morton
** well even when the battery isn't being drawn from the acid inside is eating ** at the plates inside it. (Several metal plates make up a cell and you have 6 ** cells which produce about 2.2 volts each) Every battery has a predetermined ** life and the acid will eat at those plates for only so long. The only way to ** slow this down is put the battery on a trickle charge in a cold climate. ** (unheated and insulated garage) The military actually use to do this dunno ** if they still do or not but they would put them in big freezers until they ** were ready to be used. That is your best bet. ** ** Matt

You forgot the part about the lead oxidation, eventually preventing the plates from accepting a full charge, and the voltage leakage between plates that slowly cause electical dissipation when not in use.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks for the tips but I'm not overly too keen in putting the battery in

-34C (-51 with windchill) temperature. I realize the battery will only last so long; I'll take my chances recharging it in the spring and hope for the best ;-)

Again, thanks.

Jeff

'01 GT Electric Green FIPK

Reply to