Best all round engine 1970-73

Haven't made a purchase yet, just trying to do some homework before I jump all the way in. Which engine would you prefer from this era of Mustangs (1970-1973). Keeping in mind that I value

1.reliability and then
  1. mpg

Right now I'm just learning basic repair and want something that has potential to be a daily driver and not hurt the wallet to bad. I have a feeling I'll lean more to a powerful setup eventually, but for now tis is what I'm in the market for. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Newpinguy

Easiest answer on the planet. The 302. They made the same block for ~35 years. There is no other American made engine that has the parts swapability/availability other than possibly the Chevy 350. You can run a carb, multiple types of fuel injection, forced induction, hydraulic/roller/solid lifters. I can't count how many different aftermarket heads are made for this beast, besides all the different factory heads. Same goes for intakes, headers, etc. The same can ALMOST be said for the 351W, but because of the dimensional differences there isn't the same swapability. almost, but not quite.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

302W. Good torque, unlimited parts supplies, phenominal power potential, outstanding aftermarket support. Build it right, and it will be a fun car that gets 20+ mpg.
Reply to
.boB