Mercury Needs A Cougar, NOW!

Interesting commentary.

Reply to
NoOption5L

I think the writer of this works for Ford and is testing the masses.

Reply to
nospam

I wouldn't think so unless it was an individual's effort to get a product idea through against an establishment at Ford.

Reply to
Brent P

I was thinking this same thing just two days ago.

My second car, ever, was a 1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with a 302, 2 barrel, automatic trans. What a blast I had in that car! We own a Mountaineer right now ( Premier AWD ) and I like it way better than the Explorer, even though the two are practically the same. I always liked Mercury's version of cars over the Fords. I owned a Ford Contour AND a Mercury Mystique and the Mercury just felt better.

They could also resurrect the Eliminator name and drop the GT500 motor in it! Sweeet!

Rob

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I think they could sell a lot of these if they kept the price at about $2000 over the GT Premium. If they just made the interior a little nicer and added sequential tail lights they could probably sell a ton of these cars. I wonder how many of the old Cougars sold just because of those cool tail lights?

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Mine never works well on the 68. I had to use sandpaper to clean the contacts all the time. The ones I installed on my 2002 Mustang work great though. No more contacts to clean thanks to new electronics!

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I have a '71 Cougar and I can tell you that it turns more heads and gets more comments than a '71 Mustang and I never regret that it isn't a Mustang, especially with the sequential tail lights. Now, with that being said, and with all the financial difficulties that Ford is now having, I don't think we'll ever see it, at least now. If it did happen though, it needs to be a RWD V8 car, even with $3/gal gas.

Reply to
Kruse

I like this idea!!

Patrick