black smoke from vents?

Hello!

I have a 1987 mustang GT. When I turn on the heater it emits heavy black smoke. Does anyone have any idea's on what would cause this? I am thinking it is a blown heater core? This smoke does leave a residue on the windows. Also, does anyone happen to know if this smoke is toxic, and to what degree? Thank you much!!

Brandon

Reply to
indi

There is a fan speeed resistor pack in the heater box that might have debris on it. It gets hot and may cause something to burn or scorch. Generally if the heater core is gone you get a steamy sickly sweet smell in the interior that is unmistakable, but not usually black smoke. Check the firewall under the hood below where the heater hoses go in the car, there is a weep hole there. Usually if you have a bad heater core it will leak coolant out there. BTW you should notice your coolant getting low occasionally. As to toxicity, we would need to know what is burning before we could make that call. Personally I would not like to breath coolant vapour too long either. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet
** Hello! ** ** I have a 1987 mustang GT. When I turn on the heater it emits heavy black ** smoke. Does anyone have any idea's on what would cause this? I am thinking ** it is a blown heater core? This smoke does leave a residue on the windows. ** Also, does anyone happen to know if this smoke is toxic, and to what degree? ** Thank you much!! ** ** Brandon **

This once happened to a galfriend of mine. It turned out to be leaves and debris that had fallen into the outside air intake screen, and was ignited by the blower resister that was mounted in the duct next to the motor.

Does it only emit smoke when the blower motor is on? If so, pop the hood and pull it apart. Use a vacuum cleaner hose attachment to remove the stuff out of the ductwork. I had a BIG ol' laugh after I figured out what it was - it looked pretty bad at first!

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Well, I do have a bad heater core, and there was coolant leaking out the weep hole. So I decided to bypass the core. I don't think I will ever replace it. Prolly just yank it out for good. I am hopeing I have another car by fall time and this 87 will turn into a little hobby dragster. Being a student who knows how long that hobby will actually last. I have yet to take a look at the resistor pack but I definently will. Thanks for the advice, both StuK and JD!

Brandon

but not usually

hoses go in the car,

leak coolant out

Reply to
indi

Heavy black smoke? Black smoke usually indicates some hydrocarbon material is burning, such as some types of plastic. You may notice an acrid smell as well. I would not use the heater until the problem is fixed. John

Reply to
jriegle
** Well, I do have a bad heater core, and there was coolant leaking out the ** weep hole. So I decided to bypass the core. I don't think I will ever ** replace it. Prolly just yank it out for good.

WHAT??? Son, you need to grow a pair, and replace that sucker. It's not that tough - I've done it twice. When you do, stay clear of aftermarket CRAP. Go only with an OEM part from the dealership, otherwise you'll be doing it again within 6 months.

If it's worth parking in the driveway, it's worth fixing. Just do it.