PAJERO 2.8 LOSS OF POWER BLACK SMOKE Yellow dash light?

Hello I have a 1996 2.8 automatic Pajero with a problem. I have taken the car to Main Mitsi dealer who has read the ECU and it gave these fault codes TC12 Boost Sensor and TC41 Throttle Control Valve. They could not help me any further! I have disconnected / Blanked off the EGR Valve and I now have full engine power. The problem is this. Always starts OK, when driving I have an intermitant fault which the symptoms are: Feels like running out of fuel / lack of power, yellow dash light comes on, black smoke from exhaust, sometimes this clears in a few seconds and power comes back up to

100% yellow light stays on, other times engine stays running on low power and black smoke? So far NO ONE IN THE UK HAS BEEN ABLE TO HELP ME!!! If anyone can help diagnose the fault that would be great.. To me it seems like a fuel or air mixture problem? Airflow meter has been mentioned but how can it be tested? The injection pump is not electronic but is manually operated with a traditional flexible cable... It will be interesting to see if anyone has also had this problem around the world. It is generally an excellent car and I have been very happy with it. Ideally I would like to have it repaired as soon as possible but unless I can get an idea of what is wrong it seems like no one in the UK can help! Look forward to all the replies!!!! Thank you very much for reading and helping.. Best regards blue-python UK
Reply to
blue-python

Is this a turbo vehicle? If not, the boost sensor is probably really a MAP sensor. That is on the t-body. So is the TPS sensor. I have a feeling the problem is there. If you see black smoke, that is too rich. The ECU is probably getting a erroneous signal from the TPS or MAP.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

You may want to check the owner forums at

. POCUK is the Pajero Owners Club UK. Someone there should be able to help.

Reply to
MG

Yes it is a turbo 2.8 ltr and the problem is intermitant. You can drive for hours whilst towing with no problem and then the next day the fault happens, it makes no difference the speed or load that you are producing! Thank you for your suggestion. I will now go back to the Main Mitsi dealers who frankly have been expensive and have not helped much at all! (I will never buy a car from them)

Reply to
blue-python

Thank you but so far no one at pocuk has any idea! I have been on several pocuk chat room and posted a request for help. It has so far been read by over 165 people with not a single reply or suggestion.

Clearly the problem has to be with the fuel mixture but if the main Mitsi dealer has no idea where do you turn? They just took £50 off me for reading ECU and waved me off! I have been calling Colt HQ Uk and they never call me back even when they promise to find out what the 2 fault codes mean. Rubbish service and frankly this has really put me off buying another Pajero!

Reply to
blue-python

Hi, I cannot find your post on POCUK forum? can you post a link to it as I have a similar problem with my Mitsubishi Delica 2.5TD

Reply to
wemfish

Well over £500 now spent with Main Mitsi dealer and they wrongly diagonosed the problem! If you want a job done do it yourself! I have solved the problem myself and hope that this information will help other 2.8 ltr pajero / Shogun owners....... THE PROBLEM WAS........... CRANKSHAFT PULLEY AND CRANK SENSOR!!!!! The pulley is mounted in rubber and that gave way, resulting in pulley wobble at low RPM and ok at high RPM centrifugal force etc, the wobble damaged the sensor and that is why at low RPM I had the black smoke and yellow light. I have today fitted new pulley, back plate and sensor (don't ask cost of the parts!!!!!) but dealer did get them next day for me and a bit of discount.. Now I have the fun of trying to get a refund on all that labour charges and parts that I did not fit...

So now you all know.... She goes like a new car now!

Cheerio

blue-python

Reply to
blue-python

[...]

Hi Blue

Do you mind if I do ask the cost of the parts? and how easy was they to fit? I don't have the problem now, but you never know ay?

Cheers mate

Reply to
Den

Hi there, I live in new zealand and have exactly the same problem you are describing with yours. I know this is a long time after you first encountered the problem but i was wondering what you ended up doing to remedy the problem?

Reply to
Javert

"Javert" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.travel.com...

Hi,

I have a problem with a cold engine which dies after driving about 1 Km. (Pajero 2,8TDi 1999) I have discovered that pulling the handbrake, thus activating the warning light, resolves this. It takes a couple of seconds 5-10 after which the engine runs ok. I have found this "workaround" while measuring, with a idle engine, to see if the glowplugs are not stopping to soon. (they did'nt) The moment I wanted to drive away and thus pulling off the handbrake, the idle speed dropped. The idle speed went up again after pulling the handbrake.

Years ago I found out that the handbrake does something with a solenoid on the fuelpump.

Let us know if it is the same with your car.

regards

Henk The Netherlands

Reply to
Henk

same problem you

you first

Hi I have a 1996 Pajero 2.8 Diesel with the same problem. What I have done is to bypass the vacuum hose operated by the lowest servo valve on the firewall, this opens and closes the second servo operating a butterfly valve on the intake hose. The vehicle works perfectly now and has not given any trouble. I am not sure if the problem is with the vacuum line valve that has been bypassed or the computer that controls it. At first this did concern me, but the car goes great now, all the time, so why does it matter. The vacuum is still connected to the end servo but now it stays open all the time. What was happening before is that this servo would close like a choke on a petrol engine etc you know the rest.

Reply to
Javert

replying to blue-python, Raza Ali wrote: J an so sorry just read yours today mine same car 2.8 97 same config like your egr. Lanked had issue i changed to new one from ebay which only lasted 5 days then same problem i opened up again n it was horrible only bolt holding pully was connected uper part inract with belt was like a bearring with wooble in there so had jerks while shifting and stopping on traffic light so finaly i welded the round bit and put back on problem still there i have this issue and i figured out all my self as dealer initially wanted me to change solenoid and transmission whereas all are perfect now going to buy geniune part

Reply to
Raza Ali

replying to Henk, Raza Ali wrote: Fuel pump seals i recon upper one

Reply to
Raza Ali

I am facing the same issue with my 1996 Pajero 2.8 TD, Did you discover what to do resolve it?

Reply to
Mavin

my 96 pajero 2.8 TD 4m40 engine. The vehicle was driving really heavy ,losing power and black smoke. The engine light came on for:

12* Boost pressure sensor system and 41* Main throttle solenoid valve system. I gave to my local mechanic who checked and tested the boost, turbo was boosting correctly. Checked throttle valve and components. They removed and tested EGR components and manufacture EGR blanking plate and adjusted the belts. After that it still i was having the same issue and advised me to get a Injector service and Injection pump repairs. We had the injectors serviced long time ago.
Reply to
Mavin