Tercel: Aggravating smell from heater

Hello, ye knowledgable people. I followed up on the thread

Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had the blower fanchanged twice, once with a new no-name brand, then the second time with aname-brand fan (Toyota, I think). I'm still finding that after about 20-30minutes with the heater on, the air starts to aggravate the lungs, and evenstarts the eye watering (though that might be a reaction to the nasal tissuebeing aggravated, not sure anymore). Brain has mulled furiously on this problem for years. Something has been sitting on the back of my mind for years. As I mentioned, this problem became noticable after the engine was changed. That was caused by an oil leak, and none of the warning lights on the dash lit up. My mechanic was puzzled by this, and there were some questions about whether the sensors were working right.

What if the sensors are not operating right? That might explain why the overheated engine didn't trigger any warnings. It might *also* cause the coolant entering the heater to be too hot, thus causing materials in the heater to out-gas. I'm really going out on a limb with this guess, since I'm not sure whether there is any sensor-controlled mixing of hot and cool coolant before sending it to the heater. How plausible is this? If it is plausible, is there a simple way for my mechanic to check?

Reply to
Dubious Dude

with Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had the > blower fan

If you have to research things for your mechanic to check, you need to find a better mechanic. Is this an independent guy, dealer, chain store, or what?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

with Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had the > blower fan

You will not necessarily get a warning light from an oil or coolant leak.

There is no sensor controlled mixing of coolant before sending it to the heater. The heater temperature is regulated by varying the amount of coolant flowing through the heater core.

Coolant can leave a sickly-sweet taste at the back of your throat. If the heater core or one of the hoses connected to the heater core is leaking, you might get coolant vapor in the cabin. With the engine running, nobody sitting in the car, heater set to recirc and to the front defrosters and temperature set to hot, does the windshield start to fog up? If so, that is a sign of a heater core leak. Are you getting any coolant loss? To check, put a piece of masking or duct tape vertically on the coolant overflow reservoir and mark the coolant level. Check the coolant level periodically and see if it is gradually going down. If the radiator cap is more than 10 years old, consider replacing it.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:EImdnea7uaOm2FvanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That may depend on the year of the Tercel, whch th OP does not give.

Later Tercels did not have heater control valves, so flow to the heater core is unrestricted. Blend doors are used instead; they control air flow through the core.

Reply to
Tegger

> with Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had>> the blower fan changed twice, once with a new no-name brand, then>> the second time with a name-brand fan (Toyota, I think). I'm still>> finding that after about 20-30 minutes with the heater on, the air>> starts to aggravate the lungs, and even starts the eye watering>> (though that might be a reaction to the nasal tissue being>> aggravated, not sure anymore).>>

Hmm. OK.

For such a control scheme, what determines the amount of coolant that flows through the heater core?

It doesn't smell sickly sweet. Just aggravating, and sometimes like burning, rubber, burning rubber, burning oil, or diesel.

No, it doesn't. In fact, that's what I have to do to unfog the windows in the winter when the car is occupied. There is no window fog at the front regardless of whether there is anyone inside.

No, not for the years over which this problem has taken place. This is just from eyeballing, but I almost never have to fill up the coolant.

Would the coolant fluctuate, but still sit around the same level? I shall try that.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

This is a 97 Tercel.

For those designs that don't have heater control valves, when the fan is set on recirculate, does it just direct some of the intake air to the heater, and some around it?

Reply to
Dubious Dude

>> with Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had>>> the blower fan changed twice, once with a new no-name brand, then>>> the second time with a name-brand fan (Toyota, I think). I'm still>>> finding that after about 20-30 minutes with the heater on, the air>>> starts to aggravate the lungs, and even starts the eye watering>>> (though that might be a reaction to the nasal tissue being>>> aggravated, not sure anymore).>>>

The amount of coolant that flows through the heater core is determined by the heater control valve, which is probably mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. The heater control valve is controlled by the temperature lever or knob inside the car. When the temperature is set all the way to red, a cable attached to the knob or lever moves the heater control valve to the full open position, and setting the temperature to cooler closes the heater control valve.

Yes, the coolant level will fluctuate when the engine is running, but when the engine is cold, it should sit at the same level.

Reply to
Ray O

As far as I know, all cars with heaters with coolant circulating have heater control valves. When the HVAC system is set to recirculate, the air blowing past the heater core is drawn from the interior of the car instead of the exterior of the car.

If the burning sensation is reduced when the system is set on recirculate, then the source is in the engine compartment or intake. If setting the system to recirculate doesn't make a difference, then the problem could be in the ductwork, heater core, AC evaporator, fan, or heater resistors.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O wrote:

Yes, that's what the pictograms on the recirculation lever suggests.

I have no AC, so that should simplify things. Early on, one of the ways I've extensively tried to characterize the problem is by seeing how it changes between recirculate and ventilate. This didn't lead to anything conclusive, because ventilated air seems to bring with it a host of other smells. I've since tried to troubleshoot it in recirculate alone.

The ductwork was subject to an antibacterial mist treatment. The fan has been changed twice. Last time, there was some doubt cast on the resistor as a candiate culprit, but I'll bring it up with my mechanic.

Thanks you again for your ideas, Ray.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

with Ziebart's special antibacterial mist treatment. I also had the> blower fan changed twice, once with a new no-name brand, then the> second time with a name-brand fan (Toyota, I think). I'm still> finding that after about 20-30 minutes with the heater on, the air> starts to aggravate the lungs, and even starts the eye watering> (though that might be a reaction to the nasal tissue being> aggravated, not sure anymore).>

Ray O wrote:

Ray O wrote:

"Dubious Dude" wrote:

Ray O wrote:

Ray O wrote:

Thanks. It's almost warm enough to give it a shot

Reply to
Dubious Dude

You're welcome! The heater resistor pack was my idea, and it is a long shot and not very likely to be the source of the smell but still worth taking a look at. Just wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to make sure nothing has built up on it. While you're in there, make sure that no critters have disturbed anything like the foam insulation or wires.

good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Dubious Dude wrote in news:fqalp7$lrg$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Recirc shuts off the intake of fresh outside air. After that you're putting the same interior air through the heater core over and over again. It's handy for very cold winter days.

Reply to
Tegger

"Ray O" wrote in news:LoGdneP1uPQTcFXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The '97'-'99 Tercel has no heater control valve. It uses blend doors to regulate circulation of air past the heater matrix.

Reply to
Tegger

I learned something new today! I knew that Toyotas with automatic AC use blend doors regulate air circulation but I didn't realize that the Tercel did that as well.

Reply to
Ray O