Brake Pad change

Plan on replacing the brake pads on the wife's 2001 GT.

Are there any special procedures or considerations I have to undertake?

Vito

Reply to
Vito

Just know that to reset the rear calipers you need to turn the pistons instead of compress them back to flush. A special tool can be bought or do as I did and use a pair of needle nose pliers. I'm sure that the second way takes longer but the job gets done either way. Locktite is your friend.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

"Vito" wrote in news:LET%e.14602$uD2.9496 @fe05.lga:

If you havent done several pad jobs before... break down and buy a Haynes, at least.

DO NOT BUY "CHEAP"!!!!!!!!!!! Use at least the OEM quality pads, otherwise you are wasting your time as your wife will complain, justifiably... and make sure to follow "break-in" instructions to the letter.

Make sure that the fluid reservoir is not full before you push those pistons in.

Your car is a little young to exhibit the problem but any caliper that requires a lot of force to retract the piston needs replaced (rust particles in cyl)... and do them in pairs.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic