Brake Fluid Change? -- 2004 Santa Fe

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L AWD with about 124,000 miles on it. It has disk brakes -- all 4 wheels (front and back).

Yesterday, I had new rear brake pads and new rear rotors installed at Pep Boys. They said that they "recommend" that I also do a brake fluid change at the same time, for something like $69.95. I opted not to have them do that.

My question is..., Is there any real reason or need to do a brake fluid change, or is that just a little add-on "fluff" that shops sometimes suggest as an extra money maker?

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I did have this done at Pep Boys, and I have a lot of routine work done at Pep Boys. I know that some people say they would never take their car to a place like Pep Boys, but I go there often and I am always satisfied with their work and their prices. They do usually find some kind of add-on that they "recommend", but unless I see a really good reason to do the add-on, I just tell them I am going to pass on that.

Reply to
TomR

Well brake-fluid degrades and startboiling with lower temperatures when old. So you might if unlucky experience the no-brake. A lot of service stations of any kind change the brake-fluid when they change brakeparts. At least they should make a reading of the boilingpoint.

Sincerely Daisy

Reply to
Daisy

Yes, most certainly if you have never had it changed at 124K. $70 is a very decent charge for doing it. Its $100 in my area. Twice that at dealers.

Reply to
Partner

If it were my vehicle, I would have the brake fluid changed, asap, now, immediately, all 4 wheels. I have the fluid changed every time the pads or rotors are changed however I do all brake work myself and save the $$$. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere causing internal rust. Brake fluid goes bad from heat degradation. Brake cylinders are settling points for rust and grime.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Interesting. I had never had any auto service place (including Pep Boys) ever suggest a "brake fluid change" when I had the pads or rotors changed on any vehicle, including this one. Pep Boys did the front brake pads on this vehicle about a year ago. And, they did the rear brake pads a long time ago, so they didn't charge me for the new brake pads themselves (the parts) on this job because the old pads had a lifetime warranty. Nevertheless, this is the first time that I ever heard any mention or suggestion of having the brake fluid changed on this vehicle until yesterday.

But, based on what you wrote, it looks like I should have had them do that when they suggested it.

Another question -- you mentioned having the brake fluid changed, "all 4 wheels". Wouldn't a "brake fluid change" automatically mean "all 4 wheels", that is, ALL of the brake fluid in the entire system?

Reply to
TomR

Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it will deteriorate over time. I always bled the brakes until the fluid was clear if it was not already. The price quoted sounds about right for the labor involved.

Like all chains, some shops are very good, some not so much. Depends on the manager and the mechanics at that shop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well.... one would think so, but best to ask and be sure.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Brake fluid absolutely should be changed. My Chevy's now recommend every 4 years and that is probably a pretty good number.

My BMW motorcycle with ABS recommends changes in the wheel circuits every year the the control circuits every other year. And the fluid is pretty dark after a couple of years as it oxidizes and absorbs water.

After 11 years and 124K, you are way overdue.

Reply to
Voyager

It should mean a flush through the bleed ports at all 4 wheels, but it doesn't hurt to confirm that they aren't just sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder and refilling. I am sure they are unscrupulous places that do that.

Reply to
Voyager

Thanks again to everyone for your replies. I learned something new -- that, yes, a "brake fluid change" is something that should be done from time to time. Never knew that before.

Reply to
TomR

I wonder what Hyundai recommends for that vehicle/year.

Reply to
jtees4

Me too. I would be interested in knowing if Hyundai has a specific recommendation one way or another regarding doing a "brake fluid change".

Reply to
TomR

Do you people ever RTFM at all .....

I do remember doing that on the 60's, and YES it was recommended in the manual, at least in the Ford trucks manuals.

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

I hadn't yet posted because you've hit on the main important point, that brake fluid absorbs water and that will degrade the fluid over time.

That being said, I've never changed my brake fluid, and I've had zero problems which could be conclusively attributed to lack of changing the fluid. A couple (wheel cylinder leaks) could potentially have been accelerated by not changing the fluid.

Hyundai has no recommendation for brake fluid replacement. It's not in the maintenance chart at all unless it's been added in the last couple years while I wasn't looking.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I don't recall many auto manufacturers recommending brake fluid replacement until fairly recently. My 2015 Chevy Silverado has a 3 year/45,000 mimle recommendation now, but by 1994 Chevy Silverado had no such recommendation nor did my 1986 Jeep Comanche whose hydraulic clutch stopped working after the fluid turned to gel after 18 years. :-)

BMW has long recommended frequent changes of fluid for its ABS equipped motorcycles and it pioneered motorcycle ABS. I expect the car makers are just catching on to the damage to ABS systems that old and moisture laden fluid can cause.

Given the cost of ABS systems and the relative cost of brake fluid, a change every 3-5 years is a no-brainer for me.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I looked at the Sonata 2013 manual. I see nothing about replacing the fluid, only checking the level and to use DOT3 or DOT4. Also mentions inspecting the lines and hoses, of course.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So what does the word: "Inspect", means to you ??? Just look at it, and do nothing ??? For me, it means: check the fluid, fill if low, and/or replace if in bad condition. Bad condition it's easy to spot, it gets darker, dirty and thicker. Time to change it. For me it's around 3 years, but probably can get away doing it every 5 years, since I keep my cars for 10-14 years, no reason to wait that long.

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

GM also had some problems with brake lines rusting out so that may be part of the recommendation. Corrosion caused by road chemicals was deemed to be the cause.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski