Carburetor linkage

Should the carb's linkage be lubricated or just cleaned with a spray cleaner. If lubed, what to use. Had a hard time today kicking the car down from fast idle after starting it. Nothing has changed with the carb. It is a Carter AFB which tells you something about its age.

Need a BG Demon, huh.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

After cleaning, I always coat the mating parts with a light coat of 3in1 oil, then wipe off the excess. I've done that for nearly 30 years with no adverse effects.

Dave '72 mach 1

Reply to
nospam

Ok, good. Have been using 3in1 oil.

Thanks.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH....

Using anything that will allow dust to adhere is looking for trouble... dust plus "oil" = s***ma that can impede the free movement of some delicate pieces... Carb cleaner type sprays leave no residuals to attract or retain dust and will allow these fragile pieces to operate as planned....

FWIW... don't let almost 40 years of experience slow you down...

3 in1 oil... do they still sell that?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yep, unfortunately.

Reply to
WindsorFox

They sure do. My mechanic recommends WD40. Maybe just keeping the linkage clean is the best idea.

Reply to
goodnigh

Another trick is to use brake cleaner in lieu of carb cleaner. Carb cleaner, from what I have been told, does leave a little trace of itself on what it's used on, whereas brake cleaner supposedly does not. Don't know that for certain, but a top notch Mustang mechanic I know swears by it

Reply to
vince garcia

Tried the WD40 and now the car won't kick down from fast idle until it warms up.

Reply to
goodnigh