cold air intake question

I have a 01 Gt convertible that already has a K&N on it and the stock intake inlet. what is the best cold air intake system on the market. best bang for the buck. also has anyone used the 80mm mass sensor? been looking at several and liked the C&L intake system with the mass air meter. looking for more pony's. opinions? suggestions?

Reply to
Defiant

Best bang for the buck = nitrous. Cold air intakes are, by and large, window dressing.... pretty but no real benefits. While cooler air can be a win or lose thing in something like a Nextel Cup car or a prostock, the benefits on a street car can be dubious.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Defiant

Looking at several nitrous systems?

Depends on the car... Ford switched to a returnless fuel system in 99+ cars I believe. I have a 1998 Ford Mustang GT (well-maintained) with a Zex dry nitrous kit. I can spray a 75 shot on it all day long with no problems. The kit came with 75hp - 125hp jets, but I am not going above

75hp for my particular car (stock motor). Installation was a breeze & only took 4 hours (installation time 4-5 hours says Zex). It is TPS-controlled which I like. The only down-side is the given... refilling the bottle. I purchased a 10lb Nitrous Express (NX) bottle so I don't hafta go to the performance shop as often for refills (2 10lb bottles). As far as I'm concerned... it's a damn good bang-for-buck modification, but be careful! Definitely get it on a dyno & check the air/fuel ratio before you get on it. Also I wouldn't recommend spraying under 3,000RPM... and definitely don't spray in your overdrive gear (5th for me)!!

If you have a returnless fuel system (99+ if memory serves correctly) then I'd definitely look into a NX wet kit... I've heard nothing but great things about 'em. If Zex makes a wet kit (not sure) then I'd look at that first. Again, just be safe & don't get greedy & start jetting it up to 150 or anything... unless you've got a built motor!! Other things apply too.. colder copper plugs, 93+ octane premium fuel, timing retard (depending on octane running & hp jets used), etc.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Reply to
memset