K&N Air Intake system

I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla with nothing but stock stuff. Would a K&N air intake system be a beneficial and/or recommended upgrade?

I've heard they're well worth it.

Reply to
mrsteveo

You heard wrong. K&N air filters are known to cause problems with Toyotas.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I ran a K&N filter in my 85 pickup for well over 15 years / 200,000 miles. Cleaned it all of maybe THREE times, using the original supplies. Never had a problem. Never regretted the purchase.

Apparently, *your* milage varied ;-)

Noneyabusiness

I've got the K and N FIPK on my supra turbo (no air box, just a filter) and its great. Sure it makes more noise and yea, you have to clean it but its no big deal. Besides they are made out of cotton. Wash, dry, oil. In fact, I got 1 more mpg out of my car.

Also have a drop in K and N on the 4runner. Works great.

Very very good quality.

Again, never regretted the purchase.

I've heard they're well worth it.

Reply to
Jake

======================== I savid this old posting because this topic seems to come up so often. (not my words):

From: Matthew E. O'Toole ( snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com) Subject: Re: K&N air filter? View this article >

I've used K&N filters over the years too, and while the results you cite are not contrary to my experience, I am concerned about recommending these for everyday use in a passenger vehicle. I have done oil analysis on every car on which I've used a K&N. On all 6 cars, this showed many times the amount of silica particles (airborne dust) in the oil than when a paper filter was used. This means that the K&N does not do as good of a job filtering the air, allowing more dirt into your engine. You may very well experience increased engine wear due to this, as your oil filter will not catch it all.

Notice that K&N does not advertise their product as offering "better filtration", only as offfering "better flow". The K&N is a good product for it's intended use, which was not originally long term use in a passenger vehicle.

Matt O.

Reply to
nospampls2002

You will get lots of extra noise from the intake to listen to and more frequent maintenance if that's what you want.

Reply to
Danny G.

Remember he has a stock Corolla and asked about their 'intake system' and not just the drop in filter.

8)
Reply to
Danny G.