Cold Air Intake advice

Check this out - Should I buy it?

It looks cheap but by the time I'm done with US / CAD $ conversion and $38 shipping I'm looking at $77. I don't see a long aluminum tube usually associated with air intake systems. I'll hook it up to my stock air tube? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Thoth1126

I was looking at one of those too, but I haven't done anything about it because I'm kind of turned off by the low price - seems too good to be true. That one looks like you have to use the stock tube. If you buy it let us know how it goes w/r/t quality of product, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The Merg

In my opinion those snake oil products only are good for one thing, lining the seller's pockets....

On a normal fuel injected engine, adding a 'faster flow' filter only means you are opening it up to dirt intake. Unless you do some serious modifications where you can 'use' the bigger intake, it is detrimental to the engine for nothing except a nicer sound maybe.

(remember flipping the air filter tops on 2 bbl to make them 'sound' like a 4 bbl. We used to swear we had more power with the noise too. LOL!)

As mentioned it also will fail emissions normally so you need to keep your stock setup to put back on for the test.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

Mike Romain

The Merg

note the RPM ranges where the actual 'performance gains' are attained.>

So true I only run it to 3000 RPM normally. but 10-15 hp increase at peak RPM is what they advertise.

Mike: I truly don't think more flow means more dirt. I have always run K&N oil filters and they are higher flowing and trap more dirt. If cone filters let more dirt thru I don't know why they sell so well. Still lost.

Reply to
Thoth1126

I asked Billy Ray the same question:

"So why do people keep buying them if there really is no discernible gains? Is this all conical filters or just K&N? I'm amazed that the AC Delco paper filter allowed the least amount of dirt and clogged up the least quickly of all those filters. So...I might as well forget the intake upgrade and stick with the stock box. what else can I do as far as air flow is concerned? Throttle body spacer? I've always kinda thought they were a little hooey, too, but I don't know."

Billy Ray said this:

"Why? Hmmmmm They spend millions in advertising a product that isn't totally useless that promises significant improvements in horsepower and torque. The problems include poor filtration and the power improvement is at RPM ranges where Jeepers rarely venture. Your factory filter and airbox is capable of flowing more air than your engine can consume and exhaust. On a stock engine spacers are also of little benefit. You can get improvement from a free flowing exhaust. The best bang-for-the-buck on almost any vehicle is a cat-back exhaust. The 4 liter engine breathes best through 2.5 inch pipes. In an older vehicle or if you have some spare cash you can add a low resistance catalytic converter. If your exhaust manifold cracks you can replace it with superior one but it is questionable if replacement is cost effective if your present one is in good shape."

Hope this helps.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The Merg

> note the RPM ranges where the actual 'performance gains' are attained.> >

K&N 'themselves' admit they let in more dirt as the compromise for better flow.

You should 'really' look at that link Billy Ray made. The test show that K&N to let in 'way' more dirt than any stock paper filter....

You can't get something for free when it comes to power....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Thoth1126

There is a really easy way to find out if a better intake can benefit you.

You need a friend with a stop watch and you need a 50 mph road to be safe for this test. Mark a start point and floor it from a stop to red line in 1st, then hit second and when it hits 4500 rpm have the passenger hit the stop watch and mark the speedometer. In my CJ7, that would be 54 mph or so. 52 mph at 4400 rpm for sure.

Then take out your air filter and do it again.

See if a cleaner flow gives you a boost or not.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sounds good - rethinking things I guess I need to get out of my sportbike mentality. I have a 98 Honda CBR 600 and it screams to 13,000 rpm. Gains up in higher rpms are wanted. I put in a K&N air filter and noticed the gains right away at the drag strip. My 1/4 mile time went from 11.52 to 11.05 (constant reaction times of .2 to .3) I need to adjust my mentality - WHY do I need more ponies? Climbing, tearing down that stretch of open gravel road, tearing uphill with force. This can all be done in a lower RPM especially with a 4.0 L. You just don't need to be at 5000 rpm offroad. I'm not buying that filter.

Reply to
Thoth1126