Coolant

Hey fellas... I posted earlier about the coolant leak. I've drained the coolant completely. Now a quick question... what's a really good coolant to use? Before I was using Prestone, but...I'm sure there is better. Any ideas? I'm leaving in about 3-4 hours to go get some so if anybody's around please respond. Thanks, fellas (and ladies) =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

I use Prestone. Ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol. If you want a little more cooling ability, put a surfactant in...Royal Purple's Purple Ice or Redline's Water Wetter.

Reply to
Keith

Keith,

Very cool =). Thanks man =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

If you use Prestone make sure to use the green stuff and stay away from the long life coolants. We put that orange crap in two cars and six months later had to change two water pumps. It made them leak.

Stan

Reply to
Stan J.

CURSED THING... I just replaced the thermostat & o-ring seal... is there a gasket that goes between the 2 parts (metal thing that bolts on top & the opposing part)?? I would think there would be, but the guy didn't gimmie one (I asked for it).. all he gave me was the o-ring seal.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

I've been using Prestone for decades. Never had any problems. Won't use it in my Harley, though ;)

Reply to
.boB

That's it. Just an o-ring and the thermostat. If it's still leaking there, you may have a distorted part...either the manifold or the housing.

Reply to
Keith

Guess my post got removed or something before you could read it. It's got a nasty crack in the intake manifold near the thermostat itself. Like where the thermostat housing bolts down onto the intake manifold. Gah.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc