diferents in 5.0l motors

hi, i just have another of my infrequent question you are so helpful with. i am thinking of a resto-mod on a '68.

is there differences in the 86 - 93 5.0l motors in the mustangs? do other cars have the same/similar motor/emc's? some people uss the irs rear eds for the early 90's t-bird also, right? did the t-bird come with the 5.0l?

tia, peter

Reply to
peter

sorry for the misspelling in the subject...

Reply to
peter

Yes there are differences internally to the motor. Mustangs came with the

5.0 HO which is true roller motor, the cam and valve specs are different, the rocker are different, the pressure settings and diameters of the fuel nozzles are different, and they require a different computer to run correctly. There are numerous articles on the internet talking about this swap. Do you want to keep the Fuel injection or do you want to carb the car? AOD/C4 4 speed vs 5 speed. yes the t-bird had 5.0 through 93 however it is not the HO motor.post 94 cougars and t-birds got the 4.6 putting the IRS in an early car requires some extensive suspension mods as this rear is a four link set up with coil overs' and your car is a frame rail mounted leaf spring set up.
Reply to
walt peifer

The T-Bird had the 5.0 HO motor, mine was a 1993 LX.

Reply to
hrvoje

No it didn't. The VIN "T" 5.0 155hp was the only factory 5.0 in the '93 Thunderbird.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

There *were* some Cougars and Thunderbirds with HO engines, you just have to look at it to see.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yes it did. Whether there were HOs and non-HOs I don't know first hand but I know for a fact that HO Thunderbirds and Cougars exist, I know two people that had them. If the guy says he had one, then he should know whether his particular car had a right hand or a left hand 5.0

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

He should know, he probably doesn't. Show me a VIN for a 5.0 HO in a '93 & I'll go along with it.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Ya it was a 5.0 HO and my car had more than 155 HP, LOL

Sorry I can't remember the VIN, I don't make a habit of memorizing them anyway. Here is an 1992 for sale, why don't you go buy it and then you will know that there were 5.0 HO's in Thunderbirds!

hrvoje

how does on differentiate one from the other, (i a boneyard say?)

There are numerous articles on the internet talking about this

i figure the fi is better...use the stock 5.0l wiring harness or go painless?

probably a 5speed...i already have a tired aod.

putting the IRS in an early car requires

mmmthere is some more consideration need on this front.

Reply to
peter

interesting discussion...i think it would be useful for all, (especially me), if someone would present a field guide to 5.0 ho cars?!?! thanks, peter

Reply to
peter

My 91 XR7 is a 5.0L HO. Only offered the V6 or 5.0L HO in the Cougars for '91. Don't know about the t-birds but these cars were almost exactly the same mechanically for that series.

Reply to
John

in 1993 there were only 2 engine options for the cougar regardless of trim package the 3.8 v-6 and the sefi 5.0

the thunderbird had a wider range of engine choices including the 3.8 efi and a supercharged V-6. The 5.0 HO used from 91-93 was infact a detuned version of the HO used in the mustangs it was rated at 200 HP..in 1994 all t-bird v-8 were the 4.6 mod motors in the SOHC configuration

Reply to
walt peifer

That 200hp 5.0L listed *IS* the HO engine for the MN12, the standard 5.0L (155hp) wasn't offered in the cats. I'm not sure if that is what you're saying below

Reply to
John

I don't GAF about VINs. And both cars are long sold. I am highly knowledgeable about the differences having owned both a Marquis and a Mustang and I know 100% for a fact that this 92 model Cougar had a 5.0 HO in it AND had monikers on the sides of the car on the molding that distinctly said HO. You can argue with me all you want but that doesn't change the fact that these two cars existed.

I can't stand doing other peoples home work...

"1992 Mercury Cougar: The 1992 XR7 hit the showrooms with new alloy wheels and a freshened interior that includes new seat and door trim. In addition, the parking brake is now activated by a floor-mounted pedal instead of a console-mounted lever. To mark the 25th anniversary of the Cougar a special LS model arrives midyear, equipped with a distinctive monochromatic color scheme, the H.O. 5.0-liter V8, BBS aluminum wheels, and special trim."

WindsorFox[SS]

You should. Marti cares...

I stand corrected. Thanks for refraining from actual use of profanity. There were thousands & thousands of these cars.

The '91 to '93 T-Bird & Cougar were offered w/ a 200 HP version of the

5.0 HO referred to as VIN "T".

De-tuned slightly from the Mustang, w/ different exhaust manifolds.

I think this version of the 5.0 was finally retired after the 2001 Explorer/Mariner.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I stand corrected.

'91 to '93 T-Bird & Cougar were offered w/ a 200 HP version of the 5.0 HO.

De-tuned slightly from the Mustang, w/ different exhaust manifolds.

I think this version of the 5.0 was finally retired after the 2001 Explorer/Mariner.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If you want to convert it to a carb, it doesn't matter too much.

85 and up cars had roller cams. Trucks got the rollers later. Mustangs and trucks had the good heads. There's is nothing special about Mustang blocks that make them more desirable. The firing order is determined by the cam you choose. HO is something you stick on your fender or model in the basement.
Reply to
deadcarnahans

If you want to convert it to a carb, it doesn't matter too much.

85 and up cars had roller cams. Trucks got the rollers later. Mustangs and trucks had the good heads. There's is nothing special about Mustang blocks that make them more desirable. The firing order is determined by the cam you choose. HO is something you stick on your fender or model in the basement.
Reply to
deadcarnahans

wrote

Or the name you address your alimony/child support checks to.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno