drop 32v cobra engine into a 96 GT vert?

I have a 96 GT with 109,000 miles. It runs pretty well but I have been thinking about doing the 2001 head job which I'm hearing will cost me, parts and labor, above $2,000. However, hearing that you can buy a new "16 valve 4.6 crate engine" for the $3,000 range, I'm wondering this: What would it cost to get one of the 32-valve 4.6 engines into my car? What year is best? What year is best fit? Thanks!

Reply to
Scotter

I don't know a whole lot about engine swaps... but wouldn't you also need new wiring harnesses, computer, etc? Could get costly. Why are you thinking of getting rid of your current engine? 109k miles is young.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Unless you have a ton of cash laying around, and you throw in an '03-04 Cobra engine complete w/ blower, it's really not worth it.

The '96 GT w/ the '01 head swap will give you more torque down low than a N/A Cobra engine, and you'll actually have a bit more horsepower than a '99-04 GT.

Figuring that the '99-04 GT was rated to run a tick faster in the 0-60 than my '97 Cobra, you can do just as good with your GT engine (and better) and not have to worry about the cost of computers and such. Not only that, if you ever wanna put a blower on your car, stick with the lower compression GT (though the headswap will increase compression some).

It's your money though... take the advice as you will.

JS

Reply to
JS

Sounds like dropping a 32valve into my car is impractical. I'm going to post a new question.

Reply to
Scotter