EEC-IV pc/Palm-based tool?

I see many EEC-IV error code scanners which would blink the error code in a LED. Useful up to a certain point. In the VW-universe, there is the VAG, which is a software you can run off a laptop and a cable to connect to the car to find out what it is up to, including while the car is running. And, you can get the cable rather cheap off ebay and free compatible software off the net. I also found something similar for GM products. What about the EEC-IV like the one in my 90 Mustang LX?

Reply to
Mauricio

It would probably be something simple to put together. My problem would most likely be getting the connectors to mate to the EEC-IV plug.

With OBD-II now so popular, there isn't nearly as much of a need for vehicle or brand-specific code scanners. If you think you could find a market for such a tool, I could probably put together a prototype fairly quickly. I don't really have the time available to make a one-off unit and the software to communicate with the reader unless it was made well worth my while, and something tells me you'd rather look into a blinking LED. In all honesty, hardware, including the enclosure for the reader circuitry, would probably not top $15, and that's at one-off prices. All that's required is a real cheap 8-bit microcontroller, the wiring connections, and some support components.

I also don't have the resources to allow it to do the fast read (later EEC-IVs could spit out codes faster than your eye can see the LED blink, which would be great for a PC ap). That would be beneficial for PC software. It would also push up the cost slightly because of the better microcontroller required.

IIRC, there is a constant monitoring mode, but it's only to monitor faults - the EEC-IV is not designed to output operating conditions to the test plug. You'd need a breakout box for that. So, effectively, this piece of hardware/software would be able to do just what your LED does, only present it in a more readable fashion and cross reference the trouble codes to plain text automatically.

JS

Reply to
JS