'95 Ranger EEC-IV or EEC-V?

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT, 4x4, 3 liter V6, with a five speed manual transmission. My check engine light just came on today and I am trying to troubleshoot the error code. According to my Haynes manual '95 and later models are equipped with the EEC-V diagnostic computer and can only be tested with a $300 scan tool. But at least one web site I visited said the EEC-V was not installed until '96. Does anyone know how to confirm this? And how could I get my code read without buying a meter?

Thanks!

Robin

Reply to
Robin Henderson

If you have Auto Zone parts places in your area they will check it for free. Jack

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Have you consulted the VECI (tune up) label under the hood?

It's usually spelled out there which system is installed.

Reply to
Neil Nelson
.

'95 Ranger EEC-IV or EEC-V? Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 1:50pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Robin=A0Henderson) I have a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT, 4x4, 3 liter V6, with a five speed manual transmission. My check engine light just came on today and I am trying to troubleshoot the error code. According to my Haynes manual '95 and later models are equipped with the EEC-V diagnostic computer and can only be tested with a $300 scan tool. But at least one web site I visited said the EEC-V was not installed until '96. Does anyone know how to confirm this? And how could I get my code read without buying a meter?

Thanks! Robin =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Robin,

eck-4 connector is under the hood

eck-5 connector is under the drivers side dash assembly

Ford started putting the connectors in prior to the mandate deadline of

1996. So you could have the eck-5 connector, but it may not be an eck-5 system. If you do not see a connector under the hood.......then the system "IS".... EEC-5.

hopefully helpfull

marsh monster =3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

You can buy a Ford code reader for $32.99. It works on 1985 to 1995. I just bought one from

If you do buy one, buy the extension coble at the same time. I bought my cable after I got the reader and had to pay full shipping. The meter works great.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded to this message. I was able to confirm that it is in fact the EEC-V or OBDII system. Also the people at the local Schucks auto parts allowed me to use their tester and download the PO codes. I will make a new post to ask for advice from there...

Thanks again!

Robin

Reply to
Robin Henderson