EGR help...URGENT!

Engine diagnostic said the EGR valve wasn't getting enough air, or whatever it says exactly...while cleaning the valve and tube, the tube broke. (By "tube" I mean the pipe running from the valve to the header. My first question is, is it fixable? Second, how the heck do you get that bottom nut loose, the one on the header. Is it important to have this pipe hooked up anyway? What would be the harm in just corking the pipe, and letting the EGR suck fresh air? Couldn't the computer deal with that? Anyone done this? Thanks, Rich

Reply to
RichieBarber

What engine? What year?

In general it's just a steel tube. You could weld it back together, add in another fitting, whatever it takes and that will make it work. the ideal of course is replacing it.

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. If it's sucking fresh air it won't work properly and will likely cause a massive vacume problem.

Reply to
Brent P