EGR valve

I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique. My check engine light is on and I want to take the egr valve out to check out what I think might be a blocked passageway. I don't know how to get the valve off the exhaust tube. I would appreciate any help with this. It looks like it might just be pushed into the valve but I don't want to take any chances of breaking something. Thanks.

Reply to
edz_wordz

Why not have the OBDII code read before pulling the EGR valve and possibly breaking it. The code will tell you if that is the problem..

Reply to
Woody

I did have the code read and it said it was egr problems. The egr valve checked out to be ok so the problem seems to be with a blocked passageway in the manifold. I got info about how to clean this out with an old speedo cable on a drill but I can't get the valve off of the tube.

Reply to
edz_wordz

I think the tube and valve are one unit that has to come off as a whole part, maybe even as an exhaust part. I could easily be mistaken though...

Mike

Mike Romain

I went to the auto parts store and saw a new egr valve and the tube does not come with it. It looks like it is just pushed into the valve. There is a nut about 1 inch down the tube from the valve but it doesn't look like it does anything.

Reply to
edz_wordz

I didn't get the whole discussion here, but I just changed my EGR valve (F250, 460 cu in").

That big nut seals the unit and routes exhaust to your manifold. I couldn't get the nut loose, so had to cut it off and get another tube from a wrecking yard.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

Thanks MM. I guess that answers my question.

Reply to
edz_wordz