engine assembly (need help)

I currently bought a shortblock 331 stroker and assembled with all new parts. when I installed my distributor , it doesnt sit all the way down and if I tighten the hold down bolt it locks down the oil pump. the block and heads have not been shaved, and the pump, shaft and distributor are the correct parts according to summit. I dont know what else to do?

Reply to
joe

try turning the engine by hand while pushing down on the distributor,it should drop in place,then you'll need to rotate the engine around tdc.on the timing pointer to verify the rotor button is pointing near the number 1 one terminal on the distributor cap. if it's not try again.

Reply to
winze