HELP! Can't reinstall rear zj track bar.

I spent the day replacing the shocks, springs, stabilizer and track bar bushings on my '96 zj laredo 6cyl. Everything seemed to be going great but after I got it all back together I couldn't get the track bar back in place. I can't seem to get the two eyes at either end of the track bar to line up with the bolt holes on the mounts.

When I bolt the lower eye to to the axle bracket the upper eye is about

3/8' short of lining up with the upper mount. When the upper eye is bolted to the top mount the lower eye is 3/8" short of lining up with the bolt hole in the axle bracket.

I've tried jacking the rear axle up and down to get it to line up....no luck. I tried disconnecting the shocks and stabilizer bar to see if that would allow things to line up properly....no luck.

So now I'm stuck, out of ideas and without transportation.

Does anyone have any ideas why the track bar eyes won't line up with the bolt holes?

What can be done to get things lined up so I can get my jeep back on the road.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
maleemi

The track bar locates the axle side to side. With the wheels on the floor, bolt one end of the track bar, then have a helper push the zj's side to line up the other end, and slide in the bolt. The springs & shocks don't need to be removed but you might want to disconnect the stabilizer first.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

maleemi proclaimed:

You have to pry the entire rear axle to the side a bit to get it to line up. Helps if you have a really big friend to help.

Reply to
Lon

Ah, the pain in the ass which is the ZJ rear track bar. :) Been there.

With the vehicle down and off any jackstands. Have someone lean against the vehicle to get the bolt to line up.

I have used a clamp strap to winch the body over. Put one end up on the frame and one on the axle coil perch then tighten.

Sometimes having someone sit on the bumper will be enough.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III