Engine Trouble???

I have a 1993 mustang LX. I was sitting at a red light and it died. It restarted with some hesitation but only made it down the road about a mile and it died again. We can get the car running but it is missing, backfiring and just overall rough running. Sometimes it will run idle and other times it will shut off as soon as you let you foot off of the gas pedal. We replaced the-Coils- Ignition Module - Spark Plugs - Cadylatic converter - Fuel pump - Fuel filter. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this car running again. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
JME93stang

It would help to know what engine it is.

Also if you pulled codes on it... and if the Check Engine lite is lit. Note there may be codes without lite

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
JME93stang

Well after going through all the old posts on this site. We figured out the probem and I figured I would let everyone what the problem was, it seem not to many people do that but alot of people seemed to have the same prolem. I hope this will help someone else out in the future.

It was the MAF (Mass Air Fow Sensor). Thanks Backyard Mechanic, you had a response to almost every post with this problem.

Reply to
JME93stang via CarKB.com

Thanks for reporting back! I may help someone in the future with the same problem. FWIW that is a high failure rate item on a lot of different vehicles which is not good because it tends to be and expensive part, although easy to install. Glad you're back on the road.

Reply to
Sammy

But it only needs to be replaced in maybe 1 of 10 cases.

If you clean it with a new medium bristle paint or 'scratch' brush and rubbing alcohol, that almost always works.

The test for the MAF is warm the engine, turn off, disconnect MAF harness, start and check drive performance. CEL will turn on of course, but if there are no other bad sensors, the engine should run well or at least better.

By the way, same is true with alternators on hi-mile vehicles... when all that is often needed are new brushes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic