Factory Spark Plug oddity

My Dad has a 2000 V6 bought new. It's always run OK but never quite as good as he thought it should. Early on he had it in to the dealer and was told "All the V6's are like that."

Last week it developed a definite miss (40K miles). It was still using the original, good for 100K plugs. The diagnosis was " a fouled plug". So since they were going to replace a plug anyway he had them replace all of the plugs.

He says its running better now, stronger, smoother, better idle, then it did when it was new. Seems odd that the factory plugs were somehow "bad" from the get-go.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A couple of thoughts on this..... It doesn't matter if it's squeaky brake pads, a low performing engine or poor gas mileage, the standard dealer cliche is "They are all like that". (As per the shop customer service rep's advice, I've had to say that a few times also) Second, NEVER run spark plugs for 100K miles. (Although I did see a Winstar go 250K miles on an original set once!) Even if they do last that long, there is a greater chance that they will seize to the head and you will have real problems. Third, maybe your performance is better than when it was brand new, but quite often the performance decrease is so gradual with spark plugs that you usually do see a difference with new plugs that have replaced old ones. The same way with shock absorbers. You usually see a big difference when replaced. I normally chance the plugs in my vehicles between 30K-40K, and of course, use platinum plugs.

Reply to
Kruse

"Kruse" wrote in news:1122840240.877183.160050 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

engine

replaced

Copper's a better conductor than platinum.

Reply to
Joe

Resistance Conductivity Ohms/m Siemens/m

1.059E-07 9.442E+06 Platinum 1.724E-08 5.800E+07 Copper
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Did he mean conductor of electricity or heat?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:18:52 -0500, WindsorFox[SS] rearranged some electrons to form:

Platimum will tolerate a higher temperature Melting point:

Copper: 1083C Platinum: 1772C

In any case, "platinum" plugs only have a teeny bit of platinum on the electrode tip.

Reply to
David M

While the advertised service interval calls for replacement at 100,000 miles, many factors can influence that. Idling time, driving style and conditions... the list goes on. There will be posts regarding "dealer bullshit/factory hype" and so on. Fact of the matter is that "shit happens"...... nothing will ever change that....

I will hazard a guess that it runs rough when cold, though....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Cold? In Phoenix??

Reply to