94 buick regal custom spark plug change

Hi group,

I am trying to change the spark plugs on my 94 buick regal custom. Can anyone tell me how to move the engine so that the rear plugs can be reached?

Thanks.

Reply to
ouyang.jie

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Some I have seen have a second flange so that you can bolt the dogbone at the rotated position.

I have big hands, and it is still not too easy to get to some of those plugs, but it IS possible.

Note to the OP, plug wires are delicate. Pulling them off, even using the correct tool and technique, can damage them and lead to a miss after you change out the plugs. Just do your best, but if you have problems, you may have to replace some or all of the spark plug cables.

Reply to
HLS

If the wires are more than five years old, don't worry about damage, just replace them anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Which engine does your Regal have? Reason I ask the question is that I've never had to rotate the engine on a Regal of that vintage to change out the plugs. Yes, the room IS tight (especially with the

3800) but, with a short (1") extension on a slim ratchet you can remove those plugs. I've done it on numerous Regals of that vintage including my own personal '94 Regal with a 3800 V-6. BTW, I'm 6'3" and weigh 230 and have large hands

Now if you really want to rotate the engine, remove the thru bolt on the engine torque strut (the silver colored item that looks like a big dog bone - on the 3800 it is right next to the EGR valve), rotate the strut upwards and to the front to get it out of the way, then place a breaker bar on the engine lifting hook and rotate the engine forward (it will not rotate very far on these cars since, unlike later 3800s they use a 3 point power train mounting).

I'll second the cautions others have raised about old spark plug wires. I'll add that when you remove the old ones keep the metal shields and the plastic spiral covers from the rear wires, as the replacement wires will NOT have those covers or the shields included (and yes, it is important that those shields be put onto the new wires).

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen