Spark Plug R&R on PT Cruiser

I just replaced the spark plugs on our 2001 normally aspirated I4 PT Cruiser. I checked the service manual and was surprised that the intake manifold had to be removed to gain access to the plugs.

What a poor design. It was the most complicated tune-up I have ever done. It took me about two hours instead of 1/2 hour.

Luckily, the engine miss was gone after replacing the OEM plugs with Bosch Platinum plugs. My wife thinks I walk on water now. That probably won't last long.

Have others had the same challenge? I wonder what the dealer charges for a tune-up.

Our other cars include a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder, a 1997 Acura NSX, and a

2004 Acura TL. We like the PT Cruiser and have over 42,000 miles with no problems, except one software download for the computer that was done under warranty.

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
Russell Lombardo

you are right the Bosch platinum plugs probably wont last long, yours uses non platinum Champion or NGK,anything else won't last long.

PT tune up here is $299.00 (ouch)and no I don't set the prices and no we don't sell many!

Reply to
TNKEV

Wrong! Champion has an OEM approved dual platinum plug for this application. Why? Because this motor utilizes reverse firing polarity in alternative plugs. Thus with conventional platinum plugs two of the plugs will wear out much faster than the other pair. The dual platinum plugs should be good for at least 60,000 miles, perhaps 80,000 miles. Standard NGK or Champion's are good for about 30,000 miles as is a set of single tipped platinum.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

application.

I am not wrong according to Chrysler, the reccomended plug for the '01 PT cruiser is part #RE14MCC5 gapped at 1.24mm to 1.37mm as per Dealer Connect. DC doesn't say *not* to use platinum.

Reply to
TNKEV

You published the statement: "... yours uses non platinum Champion or NGK, anything else won't last long."

This statement is WRONG! The preferred plug in this application is the dual platinum plug from Champion; it is OEM approved and is from the OEM vender. It lasts much longer in this application than the non platinum OEM plug or the non platinum NGK plug. The single tipped platinum Bosh plug will likely last about as long as the OEM non platinum plug in this application.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

preferred by whom?

what I stated "won't last as long" was from my experience with my own vehicle and from seeing people come in who don't have the recommended plugs. as far as OEM spark plugs,looking at deallerconnect>tech tools>igniton>spark plugs>specifications,the only plug stated is the champion non plat. I don't know where you get your info and I am not saying you are wrong,but the only info I find in dealership technical info provided by chrysler says to use part #RE14MCC5 non platinum champion spark plug,there may be other OE approved plugs but they are not listed.

Reply to
TNKEV

The source of my information is from the PT Cruiser Club. They published a release from Champion that their new dual plat plug had been OEM approved and was preferred because, in the Cruiser the plugs are difficult to change, and the dual plat was specifically designed to last longer in this application. I have used them in my Cruiser for 30,000 miles now and it still works like new. Any vehicle with reverse firing plugs needs dual plat plugs or conventional plugs. Single plat tipped plugs are a waste of money. By the way, Chrysler fits these dual plat Champion plugs in the factory in many of its vehicles. I guess they are saving a buck when they build the Cruiser.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Count on doing the job again very soon. Those Bosch Plats have a VERY bad reputation - and all of it well earned.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I have a'02 PT cruiser as well and it is overdue (37k)its tune up,I'll use the champion double plats and see what happens.

Reply to
TNKEV

ANY Bosch platinum-tipped plug is a waste of money, which was the original point.

I prefer sticking with plain copper plugs, personally. But if I were going to use platinum, it sure as heck wouldn't be Bosch.

Reply to
Steve

You should have replaced the wires while you were there, hmm the whole job should only take 1/2 hr!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The second time around will take a lot less time - for most people anyway.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

your speaking from a tech point of view, what about this view...

start timer... move vehicle locate proper tools disconnect air intake from TB remove intake manifold remove plugs gap new plugs install new plugs re/re wires install and torque intake manifold reconnect tb to airintake

1/2 hr?? I dunno about that.
Reply to
Punch

You could remove 2 steps from this don't dissconnect the intake,hang it out of the way.might cut a little time but it is a pretty tough job.

Reply to
TNKEV

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

I am surprised that the Bosch plugs have a poor performance record. Do you know why? Wouldn't the company try to fix whatever the problem is? Have you had personal experience with these Bosch plugs?

Thanks,

- Russ > >

Reply to
Russell Lombardo

You really need to get a new keyboard -- one with working shift, Y, K, comma, and period keys, and a more reliable O. The one you're using now is making you look like you're totally illiterate.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Thier 02 sensors have an even worse reputation than thier plugs.

Reply to
TNKEV