Ford missed boat with 427

Notice how similar the Ford 427 is to the Chrysler

300? They could have had that market, albeit only if they offered a lesser engine as well as the big one. They could still make a dent, but their answer to the Chysler is the 500, which in terms of pizzaz is FAR behind the Chrysler.
Reply to
RichA

Rich,

I don't think you'll find anyone who'll disagree with you. The Ford

427 was an awesome car, while their 500 is Toyota-Camry plain.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

X-No-archive:yes Regarding: " Rich, I don't think you'll find anyone who'll disagree with you. The Ford 427 was an awesome car, while their 500 is Toyota-Camry plain. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD"

*********************************************** While I was at the local dealer I saw the new "500".Since my first and still favorite car was a "500"(a '64 galaxy 500) I was very interested in it.However it's "styling" was so neutral,generic and absolutely lacking any real ,well,Hell it was just so PLAIN looking that I had to give it a long look to see exactly what it was.And I didn't see anything.It's a non-car. I'd buy an old galaxy before one of those. The new stangs look pretty nice though. Brian O ******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

Ford Tweaks Styling By Peter Robinson Ward's Auto World.

[...]

Far more significant is the Five Hundred, Ford's new big sedan, an alternative to the Taurus, once America's best-selling car and based on the Volvo P2X (S80) platform. Mays doesn't disagree that it looks like a cross between a Passat and Audi A6 (which he helped design), with Mercedes' taillights and an old Ford grille.

"The Five Hundred is an evolution of where we are going; it's not the end result," he says. "It's the first car I did in the U.S. It was frozen at the same time as the Mondeo (launched in late 2000). This was still me training, with a lot of Audi design DNA in my head. I was trying to clean up the swirly design I'd inherited.

"People say we were too conservative with the Five Hundred, but it's a good-looking, conservative car," Mays adds. "The market is coming to aspirational cars that look expensive, not innovative. Is the conservatism going to affect sales? No, no, no."

Reply to
Jim S.

Nobody "aspires" to own a frigging Volvo. Unless they have leather patches on their elbows.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

I'm not a fan of red cars, but I'd take a red Volvo S40 with a bigger turbo. I figure a 2.4l 5-cyl turbo engine rated at 240hp w/ AWD should be able to run with a lot of stuff out there... put a bigger turbo on it, push 300+hp, it's starting to sound like the same formula that the DSM tuners use to push their 2.0l 4-cyl Eclipses into the 11s and beyond. Even considering it's AWD turbo *and* kind of a luxury car, it's still going for around the price of a new Mustang GT.

I'd still rather have the Mustang though, don't get me wrong. The Volvo still isn't my dream car.

JS

Reply to
JS

Power from a Volvo?? They had to go begging Yamaha for a V8 to use in their SUV. Or was that Volkswagen? One of those brands.

Reply to
RichA

Actually, it's a Ford design built by Yamaha. The engine is a re-newed version of the V8 from the later model Taurus SHO. Since Ford had an excellent 60degree V8, I see no reason not to use it.

Reply to
Jim S.

Chrysler's quality sucks!

Steve Brooks

Reply to
Steve Brooks

That's a given. But if bad quality stopped sales, no European car would ever be sold again!!

Reply to
RichA