Chysler 300 = BIG! Ford 500 = small.

Chrysler has obviously tapped something with it's 300 sedan. Despite it's oddball looks, it's uniqueness has apparently caught on big with the buyers. So what does Ford do? They bring out the 500. A sedan that has finally lost whatever uniqueness the LTD and Grand Marquis had and become a pale immitation of any number of foreign sedans. How does Ford expect to capture any kind of (more like retain!) market share with an offering like this? People will not buy it. The Japanese produce more reliable family sedans, older people with money drive European, Lincolns or Cadillacs. Look for the 500 to last at most, two years without major revisions or cancellation. It's too bad. Ford had a chance and they blew it. This is Ford's GTO.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

RichA wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Agreed, except for the 'GTO' comparison. Even though GM doesn't know how to sell it, the GTO performs.

Joe

It looks like the changes to the '05s are having some effect.

One of the larger local dealerships here sent their last six '04 GTO's down to wholesale auction. They were just taking up space, even $9,000 + 0% couldn't move them.

The same dealer has a waiting list for the '05 model, with over a dozen names on it. Quite a turnaround in customer interest.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

"John C." wrote in news:BU7Ld.249$oR6.183@trndny04:

It's hard to disagree with a 400hp LS2.

Joe

Ford wants to capture back the midsized sedan market that has largly gone to the Japanese makes. It is often dangerous to introduce a car that looks radically new or cutting edge. I'd say the 500 looks okay, not daring nor bland. I took a look at one in the showroom while getting my oil changed. I't looks like full sized car with the high roof line.

I've seen a couple on the road already. Haven't seen any GTOs.

John

Reply to
JohnR66

Lets see how it sells relative to the dismal sales figures of the first one.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:15:38 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Just saw my very first GTO on the road yesterday. Red `04, running temp tags so it was probably just bought. A guy in a mineral gray `05 GT does the commute at the same time I do so I see him daily, along with a girl in a `05 Lime (or whatever it's called) V6 with the black stripes.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've seen more GTOs on the road than '05 Mustang GTs so far. Seen a lot of V6s.

There's a guy who used to drop his kid off at my son's old grade school in a Lambo. Unreal.

Joe