Ford's Secret New 7-Liter

Were they able to get the 460 to meet the latest emission standards? That might have been one issue.

We had an E350 van with the 460 and also have some E350 vans with the V10. The V10 is better from a drivers perspective. Since we never had any trouble with the V10's and I don't have to fix them anyway, I can't say whether they are more trouble to work on. I know we got

250,000+ miles out of two of them without ever doing anything but regular maintenance and they were still running like new. The 460 did the same.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Maybe they use a lower ratio rear end? Or perhaps you don't get stuck burning gas watered down with alcohol? I was just mentioning the ease of repair, it's not my problem and neither of them have needed repairs anyway. Given the little difference between them I'd still rather have the low speed torque of the 5.7 all other things being equal (which they never are).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

is ford making it,, only good deisel they ever made was the tractor engines . lucas

ds549

At one time they did sell a version of the six cylinder tractor diesel in the low cab forward trucks. The local Ford (now New Holland) dealer had one with that engine. Big, heavy, and basically indestructible.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White