Are 6-Liter V8s The New "Standard" ?

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS ? Casting aside fears that rising gas prices will steer consumers away from gas-guzzlers, Chrysler is developing an even larger version of its popular V-8 Hemi engine, according to industry analysts and company sources.

The move comes as General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and others are supersizing engines and threatening to outmuscle the current

340-horsepower Hemi, a major marketing and sales success for DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group.

"Chrysler has to do something or they'll be left behind," said John Wolkonwicz, a market analyst with Global Insight in Lexington, Mass.

The automaker is expected to build a higher-output, 6.1-liter Hemi to join the current 5.7-liter model, now available in Dodge pickups and SUVs as well as the Chrysler 300 Series sedan. As many as half of buyers choose the Hemi in those vehicles.

"Our industry sources tell us there will be a 6.1-liter Hemi," said Anthony Pratt, senior manager for global powertrain at J.D. Power and Associates.

Chrysler has begun putting the bigger Hemi in prototype models of the all-new 2005 Dodge Charger sedan, which is in test production in Brampton, Ontario, according to two company sources familiar with the project. The Charger is expected to reach showrooms next spring.

In the Charger, a bigger Hemi would provide more horsepower than the current 340-hp Hemi engine, Wolkonowicz said.

"They could probably get 375 or 380 out of it with no problem at all," he said, putting the engine in league with the classic Hemi engines of the 1950s and 1960s.

In trucks, the bigger Hemi also could increase low-end torque, which would improve towing capacity, he said.

Though the larger Hemi will likely get lower gas mileage than its predecessor, it may not be enough to deter interested buyers, Pratt said.

"All things said and done, I think power is more important to the typical American car buyer than fuel efficiency," he said.

Ford Motor Co. also is working on a higher-output V-8 engine, known internally as the Hurricane, with a 6.2-liter displacement and

350-horsepower. Currently, Ford's biggest V-8 engine is the 300-horsepower, 5.4-liter Triton V-8.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

All this notwithstanding, CAFE standards may spell the death of big inch engines just as quickly.... We'll never know exactly what we are going to get until it hits the showroom floor.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hey Jim, Check out alt.autos.dodge.trucks. I have a topic "Lift Kit advice", and I could use your (and anyone elses!) advice.

Thanks

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Send me an email Carl, I've lifted (both susp & body) more Dodge trucks than I can count. I looked but I don't see your post in alt.dodge.

Reply to
KellyJ

Depends on how well Chrysler's (and GMs upcoming version) cylinder shut down system works.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Depends. Makers may end up going to both extremes. They may end up selling a bunch of powerful V-8s getting lousy mileage alongside a whole lot of hybrids or tiny 4-bangers getting 25-45mpg. The average mpg would even out to satisfy CAFE.

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:wW5zc.2537$eA.2360@clgrps13:

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

They should make it 6.3 liters, = 383 ci. Meep meep!

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

This move towards bigger engines will again run its course as it did in the 70's, as insurance companies will be hammering people with outasight premiums.

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet wrote

Well then THIS time around I'm going to pick up a couple of those three to five year old rejects, like I should have done with that '70

426 Cuda and that '69 Dickie Harrell COPO 427 Camaro back in 1973, and put 'em in storage for thirty years.

Yesterday I wandered into a collector car dealership near my office in SF and there amongst the Porsches and Astons was a black on black '69 RS/SS 350 Camaro, auto, no AC, std interior, asking price $45,000!!! The fact sheet claimed 22,000 original miles, which is cool. But this car was fully restored, OVER-restored really, which totally negates the low mileage as a selling point.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Neither you nor I will be alive in 30 years. Or, at best, I won't be able to even *say* "outasight" without blowing my dentures into my bowl of baby food and Geritol consomme.

See, you're already getting lost while shuffling about your daily constitutional. Olda age sucks, doesn't it?

Chevy people do a lot of drugs. Think back to high school and tell me otherwise.

This is true. I'm sure it had to be restored with only 22k because bong water ruined the carpet and stunk the car up.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Insurance companies need an "adjustment." After pleading poverty over the last couple years then jacking up rates in Canada by 40-200%, the insurance industry has now ceased posting monthly profit figures because they are now well into the $billions whereas one short year ago they claimed losses. I don't know the economic name for when all the big companies conspire to raise prices will still pretending there is competition.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

It's called Massive Bullshit.