CJ-7's heater motor upgrade

Hi,

I've been searching for a while now and am not able to find the exact answer to my question... I have a 1981 CJ-7 and since my heater core seems to be leaking, I want to go ahead and do the heater motor upgrade while I install the new core. The question is: will the heater motor from an 1991-1995 YJ work? I know that the one from a 1987-1990 YJ works but I hear it's not much improvement if any to the stock CJ-7 heater motor. I also hear that the Blazer heater motor can be swapped, but I would like to stick with the Jeep one.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Pablo

Reply to
pabloriofriog

look here ,, ,, ,,

Anonymous

A couple of updates that should be mentioned that I ran into when doing the above upgrade in my '82 Scrambler a couple of years back:

1) The correct fan part number at AutoZone is PM102 and is made by Siemens. Other parts stores may (or may not) vary. The fan for use with AC did not fit. The fan for use without AC fits just fine. BTW, I just recently had to replace this fan, and that part number is still valid. 2)  With the PM102, I'd use a bit to make a 3 1/2" hole, not 3 1/4" hole listed on the web site.  I think the dimensions have changed since the web site was last updated, as mine fits pretty darn good (better than the factory fan). 3)  The easiest, quickest way to make the hole is to use the nearby bolts from the removed battery tray to hold down a 1x4 covering the old hole, then drill from the inside.  Note that you'll also need some longer bolts temporarily.  Total time was under five minutes to find the bolts, mount the board, and drill the hole.  Much easier than the aluminum crossbar on the web site (although a bit less accurate).

Good luck!

Reply to
Michael White

The problem is that I have easy access to Jeep parts via 4WD and Quadratec catalogs and I don't have access to AutoZone because I am in Ecuador, South America. That's why I want to know if the newer style (1991-1995) Jeep Wrangler blower motors, which seem to be good, will fit in a CJ-7. Thanks!

Reply to
pablorCJ7

I do not believe it will fit. The old style AMC setup was GM based, the newer YJ's are Chrysler.

The blazer motor is really the way to go.... On low it puts out more volume than the old motor on high. It will defrost 'all' the windows in the Jeep while still leaving enough to keep you feet warm and it will clear all the snow or ice off the CJ windshield, even that little center triangle and the passenger mirror area.

They make 2 motors for the blazer. You want the cheaper version. Napa online sells them.

I don't know if this is gospel, but someone (a Doug B) emailed me and said the napa part number for the 73 blazer (last 4 digits 1039) is the same part number for the 89 YJ.

Mike

Mike Romain

I know two people who have put the "Blazer" blower motor in and they both say that it is by far the best and simplest upgrage they have done. Like Mike said, on low they say it puts out more air than the CJ blower motor. And, the blades/hamster wheel on the CJ blower motor bolts right up to the Blazer one. I help with the installation and it is very simple. All you need to do is cut the hole in your firewall a little bigger and everything else bolts straight up without any further mods. This is the way to go. That is my opinion for what it is worth. Good luck.

Reply to
rjmax

I was thinking a bit, and the 89 YJ motor matching the part number for the blazer doesn't work. I have changed a couple YJ heater motors for the Blazer one, and the blazer one was physically bigger and the owners did notice an increase from stock...

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain