Ford to Unveil Latest Convertible Mustang

Ford to Unveil Latest Convertible Mustang Wed Jan 5, 2005 By JOHN PORRETTO, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT - Coming off the successful launch of its all-new 2005 Ford Mustang, Ford Motor Co. is preparing to show off the latest ragtop version of the legendary sports car.

Ford is scheduled to unveil the all-new 2005 Mustang convertible Wednesday at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show and provide another glimpse at next week's media preview for the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center.

The 2005 Mustang coupe, which made its debut in Detroit last year, went on sale in October, one of several cars launched by Ford in 2004 as part of its self-proclaimed "Year of the Car."

Because of late-year launches for many of the models, however, Ford's car business was disappointing in 2004, falling 14 percent from the previous year.

A bright spot of late has been demand for the new Mustang, which saw sales up roughly 9 percent in December from a year ago ? the best December for the model since 1979.

The new car's design has received accolades from analysts and Mustang enthusiasts for effectively marrying design cues from the 1960s with modern enhancements. The three-element taillights, for example, harken back four decades. But the new 4.6-liter, 300-horsepower engine has more than 50 percent more power than the V-8 in the inaugural 1964 model.

The 2005 convertible is scheduled to go on sale in March. The starting price for the V-6 version will be about $25,000. The V-8-powered GT version will start at around $30,000.

The 2005 V-6 coupe's base price is $19,570.

Ford spokesman Dave Reuter said convertible versions of the Mustang make up about 30 percent of the model's total sales.

Compared with previous Mustang convertibles, the new version's stiffer chassis has helped reduce squeaks and rattles and improve the ride and handling, the company said.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

Grover C. McCoury III opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

last pic of slides.. profile

sweet

Backyard Mechanic

click slideshow

from gotmustang.com

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The V6 starts just under 24K. The GT convertible MSRP starts at $29,500 including destination, invoice $26,904. I have one on order since October. 170A Deluxe package plus leather, 5 sp auto and a $195 wheel upgrade. I do not want the super sound system or the fancy two tone gut. Invoice is $28,845.55. MSRP is $31,315, only around $1,200 more than my 2003 GT convertible and at least $5,000 less than a similar 2005 FWD V6 Toyota or Chrysler FWD V6 convertible ;)

mike hunt

"Grover C. McCoury III" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Oh.... my.... god.

It looks even better than I'd hoped. I have to get me one of those garage things real quick.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yah, those garage things work pretty well.

Joe