Future of Ford

If the administration of Ford were interested in ensuring the future of this automotive company, wouldn't it make sense for them to voluntarily take a
pay cut in an effort to make Ford sustainable. I realize that going from $10 million plus or even $20 million plus to perhaps a lowly $1 million could seriously crimp your food budget, but it would sure send a strong message to the employees you at present are taking the hit, and perhaps an even bigger message to the consumer public. I find a hand out ( some call it a bail out ) hard to justify when the administration is so top heavy and over paid and refusing to take responsibility for their decisions and the company they run. Just my 2 cents worth. If I was a CEO, this could quite possibly be my $10 000.00 worth. Rick

Congress asked the "delegation" from the top three that same question today. In fact, one of the "key questions" was: How did you get to Washington today?" Answers from all the "CEO delegates" ranged from: "My corprate jet" to: "The company jet" nobody used commerical transportation to get there... Sort of like the congressional delegation telling us to save gas/drive smaller cars... have you ever looked behind the Capitol at the vast array of black surburbans/yukons,expeditions???? Save money? drive small cars???? The message from all these jerks seems to be: "YOU do it, I'm above that trivial stuff"
I find it "amazing/amusing" that these "better than the average joe" executives find it beneath themselves to beg from Congress while wearing thousand dollar suits, staying in the best hotels and travelling to the "begging station" in private jets... Sort of like the beggar on the street corner driving up in his new Mercedes to rattle a tin cup for quarters.....
snipped-for-privacy@myhouse.com wrote in

You'll love this: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/theyd-rather-be-flying /
Freakin' idiots. At this point, I wouldn't buy a car from these morons just on principle.
Joe wrote:

The New York Times is a Marxist's rag. Their bloggers are just useful dupes. My reply to them would have been more to the tune of. Do you fly commercial or private when you travel back to your district? Were is the outrage of Nancy Palosi demanding a bigger jet so she can travel non stop to California? Are those democrats for real? They are shameless. Can't the see the irony of demanding one standard for everyone else and another one for themselves? Does anyone expect to see Barry Obama (the biggest phony I have ever seen in my 52 years) in a Hybrid motorcade? Although I am sure he will demand every one else do ride sharing in what ever jap crap he approves of. He can just bite me if he thinks I will submit to any of this plans.
Columbotrek wrote:

Try not to hold back; burying your feelings can damage your health
--
Frank ess

HEHE yup, said with the conviction to enforce true feelings.
As I said in the original post, just look behind Congress at what they drive, look at how the top 3 got to Washington, Obvious to me none of them have to work for a living. Would be terrible to think the only callouses I got on my hands were from watering my prize orchids or bringing in some firewood after the maid/butler left for the evening. <sigh> What a terrible life :)
snipped-for-privacy@myhouse.com wrote in

So let's call a spade a spade. Those three goons should burn in hell right next to Paulson, who should be sitting right next to Bush. None of the aforementioned give a rat's ass about any of us.
Please - prove me wrong.
Patrick, dwight, Michael (if y'all are still here) - comments?

The whole problem with Detroit is that they keep giving us the vehicles we want, not the vehicles we should have or that would make sense in a changing world.
The American buying public is a fickle beast, and Detroit has always been a beat behind in the dance. We wanted SUVs and horsepower, they set about giving us that. A small minority decided to be environmentally aware, so they started to develop green vehicles as a small minority of their offerings.
I don't blame Detroit for building cars to suit the market.
Problem is, the market did an about-face, and we all know that Detroit doesn't (can't) react that fast. What do they do with all of the leftover SUVs, while they scramble to remake the product line? We all get to feel self-righteous, while Detroit is left holding the bag that used to be our wish list.
I say, give 'em the damn loan, make sure that they survive, and give them time to develop the vehicles of the future. GM is already gambling everything on the Volt, even while Ford has just unveiled the 2010 Mustang. You can bet that next year's auto show will feature a somewhat different focus from Detroit.
dwight
dwight wrote:

Sounds about what Pelosi wants. I'm tired of hearing how the sky is falling and our taxes are needed for MORE government programs! Let them go into chapter 11, get rid of all the FAT (we know it floats to the top) and that includes the UAW too. I swear the Dims are going to push a LITTLE too much.
--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces

Oh, come on... The Dims? Cute.
Bush. $700,000,000.00+. Blame the Dims.
dwight
dwight wrote:

Oh that's right I forgot, It's still Bush's fault. =) (Probably will be for at least four more more years too) There's plenty of blame to go around for all of Washington, just happens that most of them are Demos. There, better? ;)
Don't you think this crap all started with the housing market running out of control? And sorry to say but, these people who over extended themselves, buying over priced homes, and the bankers selling ILL packages, just need to cut their losses and move on. Let the market reset to a lower level (houses back down to 150K or what ever)so people who really CAN pay for a home get those loans and get this thing going again.
--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces

Calm down. My only point was that you single out the Democrats for blame, when "there's plenty to go around, just happens that most of them are Demos."
That's wanting cake and eating it, too.
Let's see - the Democrats are to blame. The American people are to blame. Greedy business types are to blame. Great. Now we know who to blame.
Doesn't solve any problems, but I certainly feel better.
dwight
dwight wrote:

I'm very calm, did you miss the "wink wink"?

Now now, don't fret, Mother Pelosi is going to make it all better. Just look out for Uncle Barney 8O

No, still too simplistic. It's going to take actual leadership in Washington, together with a rejuvenation and resolve on the part of the business community, with a side order of sacrifice and a disavowal of the creed of instant gratification by the people. We're all in this together, no matter how we came to be here.
To point to the Democrats, or to the Republicans, or to Mr. & Mrs. Borrower as the cause of the underlying rot in the economy is facile and irrelevant. The fact is, this economy threatens all of us (hell, I feel threatened).
You can point to Pelosi and Frank as some sort of culprits, but I'm thankful that somebody - anybody - wants to actually DO something about it, as opposed to going off on early retirement.
dwight
dwight wrote:

This is all pretty moot considering Nancy just wants to see some kind of essay from maybe some of the B3 CEOs before she gives out the checks. I think you got me all wrong anyways cause what I was saying was to just let capitalism run its course. I guess we'll never know how that played.
Joe wrote:

News Flash, the only intrest the left has in you is as a useful idiot. They play to the worst in us to get them in the seat of power and once there, will make it unlawful to challenge them.

The left?
dwight
I thought that the point was about who was asking for money from who? Righteous indignation is one thing.... pissing on the boot that's attached to the ass you need to kiss... that's something altogether different.
If you want to borrow money from me and I ask you a question about it, all you need to do is get a little huffy for the answer to be "NO". It looks like Canada is waiting to see what the US does... For my part - every time I get myself into a bind, it has been up to ME to get myself out of it.... Catch my drift?

Who pissed on a boot?

Sure, and, as a Republican and a fiscal conservative, it pains me to say that we should make the loan. In theory, a business - any business - should rise or fall on its own merits, but these automakers have become an integral part of the nation's economy, its security, and its future self-reliance. To say that they should be allowed to fail is just ignoring the larger picture.
dwight
Well, if we look up in the thread, we see that Columbotrek feels that the automakers should be above restraint... that they should counter the question about corporate jet usage with a "tit-for-tat" comeback.... If the reps from the big 3 want to look like paupers, the least they could do is act the part....
I'm not saying that these corporations should be allowed to fail, but it is about this time - after all these years of self indulgence - after all these years of corporate management and the unions hosing down their customers - that some kind of public watchdog... a very big, very nasty, very vicious and unforgiving public watchdog get's put in place....
The US has been a very powerful force in the modern world... The US has shaped much of the world as we know it. But now it is starting to look like some errant priest - spreading good will through the community with one hand down the alterboys trousers.
If these companies want public money, the first thing they need to do is start accounting for their own money. Ever put a business plan together? Ever done projections without fudging the numbers? Instead of pretending to be pretty faces, these guys need to become business LEADERS.. If you want or need more cash - show us what you can do with the cash you got... Anything else is going to be good money after bad.
What has been stated thus far? Can you give me some loot - I need to gas up my jet. If you give me enough, maybe I might spread some of it around.
Fuck me... the simplest shit just starts to take on a life of it's own...