98 Grand Marquis Broken Intake Manifold

This car is a gigantic piece of turd. I have spent a fortune on the garbage front end, and now the shitty plastic intake manifold is broken. The part alone is $470.00 and there is about 4 hours labor at about $65/hour = $730.00

$470.00 for a molded piece of garbage plastic? I'm sure the new one will break eventually.

Wasn't there a class action suit against Ford for plastic intake manifolds? The car has 135,000 miles on it and I doubt if Ford would make good at this point.

I will never buy a Ford again. What a toilet.

mstrspy

You got to learn to not hold back. Let it out man! It's ok to cry. And tell us who you really feel. Don't pussy foot around. It's that new boy friend, right? He didn't like the car you bought for him, did he? The ungrateful little bitc. Oh sorry this is none of my business.

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

Reply to
mstrspy

It the only part of my T-Bird that has caused a problem. I was lucky, Ford replaced the manifold on recall (97). You can get a good aftermarket manifold for 200.00. If you have to pay for labor at least supply the part yourself.

F. H.

I think you shoud meet "ForiegnCarHatinFordMan"

Fords are freakin awesome. My family has been driven them for 4 generations. I'm the youngest with a 1989 f-250. It has over 242,000 miles on it. Unlike alot of people my parents taught me the Importance of keeping my money at home and keeping our economy strong. All of our fords have been outstanding performers only needing routine maintenance along the way. It's not the Company's fault you bought a cheap used car. And it's not the companies fault you don't know how to take care of it. After all is said and done ITS A CAR and it was never meant to last forever.I'll take a Ford before JAP CRAP any day.

And this is to the Union Hater. I'm a Loud and Proud member of the UAW and no matter what you say America's Skilled trademen are still the Best in the World and there is nothing wrong with Employer/Employee Accountabillity. Better Benefits, Better Pay, Better Standard of Living. Don't be Jealous. There is Always strength in Numbers.

Reply to
dbltap

They get 4 hours to change that thing? Jeez, I wonder if the mechanics are in on some kind of manifold conspiracy.....Oh ,and it seems like the manifold was more like $250 last time I ordered one. If you have done any repairs yourself, I bet you can handle the job yourself.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Reply to
mstrspy

Reply to
mstrspy

No doubt there's a flat rate paid to the mechanics and some of them can do the job in no time flat.

Reply to
F. H.

Ford is not alone, most manufactures that build engines that have individual cylinder injectors and coils, use plastic intake manifolds since the only thing they carry is air. Ford has extended the warranty on the older ones that were heated. Check with a dealer, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As the NSDAP posters said, "Kauft Deutsche Ware!", eh? While I agree with the basic sentiment in your post, it's a considerably gray area these days as to whether buying a Ford (or any other brand, pick one...) is really keeping such a big percentage of money in the domestic economy. The ownership of these companies is not 100% American. The parts are sourced globally. Subassemblies are put together all over the world. Even the engineering is being outsourced to India and China.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Are you for real? At 135,000 miles No manufacture will fix it for free. LOL

mike

Mike Hunter

The Japanese are much smarter than Americans, they support their own economy first

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's good to be right eh? However, in *this* case you need to to back to the original poster to quote correctly. Funny how that turns out that way so often. IME, those that are quick to "LOL" at others expense usually step in their own shit before long.

I wrote: "No doubt there's a flat rate paid to the mechanics and some of them can do the job in no time flat."

Not:

For real Frank

Reply to
F. H.

Good point! If in fact the engineering and manufacturing is out-sourced to India and China, then American cars are no longer trully "American"

I happened to be a mechanical engineer and I have worked in industry for 34 years. Occassionally I get layed off and wen I look for work I get lame excuses like : "oh, our engineering is done overseas we have nothing for you" .

What the hell is happening to this country?

Reply to
mstrspy

Well, management is certainly in step with the economic theories of the Bush administration. How does Ford reward the CEO of a company that just lost 1 billion?:

Bill Ford's compensation falls 40 percent after 2005 losses

Ford proxy statement lists chairman's total at $13.3 million

Dee-Ann Durbin / AP Auto Writer

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. Chairman and CEO Bill Ford received total compensation of $13.3 million in 2005, or 40 percent less than the previous year after the automaker's North American division lost more than $1 billion, according to a proxy statement filed Friday with federal regulators.

Bill Ford said last May that he would take no salary, bonus or other awards until the automaker's automotive operations return to profitability. But he did receive nearly $5 million in restricted stock equivalents under an incentive plan established before he made that commitment. Ford plans to donate that amount to charity, the company said.

F. H.

I think somebody needs a hug............

mstrspy wrote:

Reply to
OllieB

I think somebody needs a hug............

mstrspy wrote:

Reply to
OllieB

Americans in their greed, are buying too many foreign made products as well as too many products like Toyotas that are only assemble in the US of mostly foreign parts, that what is happening.

If we continue down this road the only thing your children and grand children will need to know is how to say 'welcome to WalMart' or 'Do you want fries with that?'

As to determining were cars are made, look at the first number of the VIN. If it is a '1,' it is made in the US. A '4' or '5' means it is only assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, like the Camry and Tundra Around 80% of all GM and Ford brand vehicles sold in the US, are made in the US, and exhibited a '1' Most of the rest are made in Canada, a '2' or Mexico a '3'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's an artificial metric with very little real meaning. What do you define as a "part" and how do you calculate this percentage? The radio or entertainment center is a "part" in the sense that it's a single line on the vehicle's bill of materials. The components of that radio will come from all over - Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Europe... Even if the radio is labeled "made in America", the lion's share of the value-add in its price went straight overseas. Same applies to other OEMed subassemblies (I just use that one because I happen to be an electronic engineer).

What about the engineering? If XYZ Auto GmbH in Germany designs it, and sends the plans to the US for it to be built here by a skeleton staff, is it an American car?

What about the investors in the company? If I buy a car made in an American plant from 80% American-sourced parts, but the stock of the car company is 95% owned by Germans, am I subsidizing Germany or the USA?

What about the finance? Last I checked, GMAC was the only profitmaking division of GM. So the profit center for an auto company is actually in financing the car - i.e. they make no money on the sticker price, they only make money by effectively adding a penalty on top of that sticker price (auto loan interest). If I buy an American car and finance it with an Arabic bank, who am I benefiting?

I'm as keen as the next guy - maybe more so - to spend my dollars where they are going to benefit the working people of the country where I live and work. But it is not so simple. If I buy pineapples from Hawaii, I'm probably buying American. But if I buy avocadoes from California, maybe I'm subsidizing illegal immigrant seasonal workers. I don't know. Cars are a thousand times more complicated. Certainly, simply looking at a VIN is not going to give you an accurate picture of this situation.

Reply to
zwsdotcom