Gears Help Please

Replacing my stock rear end gears... any recommendations are greatly welcome.

Also, what ratio?

I mean, what's the difference between 3.73's and 4.10's?

Really novice here!

Thanks Gang!

Reply to
Topher

What kind of stang? v6, GT, Mach-1, Cobra? What kind of driving do you do? Mostly highway? Mostly city? Do you drag race? Are ET's important to you? Is gas mileage important to you?

Lotsa questions....

However, if'n it was me, I'd throw a set of 4:10's in my Mach-1 in a heartbeat....well, actually in the spring :-) But - they'd suit me....they may NOT suit you!

Gary

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

Reply to
Topher

Answer the rest of the questions.

Reply to
<memset

Duhhh on my part.. sorry gang..

V6

actually, a little bit of both..

ET's aren't important at all.

I don't mind paying for gas :)

I've taken my mustang over 70 mph only once.. a buddy of mine put a radar gun to me when he was working and we clocked me at 118 mph. Quite honestly, I wasn't looking at anything but the road at that speed.. It felt like I had a little more left, but I was concentrating on the road :) I'd like to get a quicker punch off the line without hurting top end..

I know next summer (God willing), I'll be taking some trips to Ocean City, Maryland..

I mean, let's face it... it's a V6, but I love her:)

3.73's???
Reply to
Topher

I'd get 4:10's - but that's me.

If you want "a little more punch," then the 3.73's might be good for you. With 4:10's in my Mach, I'll be able to break the rear end loose at will in

1st AND 2nd - just by hammering the throttle - THAT's what is important to me ;-)

I can't wait for spring...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

With 4:10's you might be running a little high on the RPMs during highway driving though... 3.73 is a good trade-off.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

After reading what your situation is, I'd recommend 3.73's.

Reply to
Scotter

If you put a lower gear ratio in you will effect the top end speed. If you are able to redline your v-6 engine in high gear now, then putting lower (numerically higher) gears in will drop your top speed. If you currently "run out of engine" in high gear, can't push it to redline, you may see a faster top end from a gear ratio reduction.

Lowering your gear ratio generally gets you quicker, but drops your top end speed... It shouldn't make much difference with a stock v-6 but the general idea is to increase quickness while maintaining "traction", not spinning your tires through the first few gears.

Reply to
351CJ

Which is why people getting 4.10's to burn out in 2nd doesn't impress me ;)

Reply to
<memset

I have 4.10's and in combination with the 5 speed overdrive, it's not an issue. I can cruise along at 60mph while only at ~2500rpm. I also use a 28" tire which brings them down a touch. (gears are based on a 27" tire)

Go with 4.10's and a slightly bigger tire, that way you can buy a set of

26" or 27" slicks for the track and get stellar 1/4 mile performance then slip the 28's back on and enjoy a "peppy" street setup.

I figure if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense of changing gears, you might as well go for it and change to something you will feel in the seat of your pants!

Buzz Haze

Reply to
Buzz Haze

...but a 1.68 60ft with a bone stock speed density 302 powerplant should :) not to mention a 12.9 @ 104 with just gears, suspension, exhaust & weight reduction. Yes, I do my burnout in 2nd, but I always launch in 1st. heh-heh.....I love shifting though!!!

4.10's are the perfect street/strip combo IMO

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

I'm not racing the car... I just wanted to feel it a little more in the seat of my pants without hurting top end... and from what I've read...

It looks like 3.73's... or am I mistaken??? Will I feel the difference? If I'm not mistaken, I'm at 3.27's now..

Sorry for the continuing questions....

Reply to
Topher

The step from 3.27 to 3.73 is not that drastic and hardly justifies the hassle and expense of a gear change...

Reply to
351CJ
2500RPM at 60MPH?? Around here the interstate speed limit is 65MPH & everybody goes 70... a little bit down it's 70MPH speed limit. I am glad you like your 4.10's though. If I did only city driving I'd go with 4.10's in a heartbeat.

-Mike

concentrating

Reply to
<memset

Regardless of what gear ratio you choose it will affect top-end speed. You could try other mods... cold air induction, underdrive pulleys, exhaust, what not. Look at your other options before deciding that you want a gear change... it sure as hell isn't cheap.. but it sure is hell worth it ;D.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I don't do very much highway driving in the Mustang. The top speed limit around here is 100 KPH and I try to stick to it since I have a clean drivers record.

....I get it all out at the track :)

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

Reply to
Buzz Haze