Rear Gears Question!

3.73 if u plain on doin work to the motor but if not go with the 4.10

Reply to
Joey Pankiw

First, thank you guys for being a big help. I got a 2000 GT conv. with the following extras: Cold air intake (fender) stock h-pipe w/o cats flowmaster mufflers 2 1/4

18" rims w/ 245/40 FR, 275/35 RR

Planning to get rear gears, which one/brand would u recommend, 3.73 or

4.10, reasons, and MPG effects? any help would be appreciated thnx
Reply to
mustangGT_00

forgot to mention it got eibach pro-kit lowering springs, if that would matter!

Reply to
mustangGT_00

If you are driving mainly in the city with city traffic then get 3.73 or

3.55 gears. With 4.10 gears you will hate 1st gear. You'll be at about 3,000 RPM before you reach 10 MPH Lol! Many guys who have 4.10 gears just start in 2nd from a complete stop. 1st revs way too fast. But...If you are planning to stomp on it everywhere you go then 4.10's are alot of fun :) Remember the higher the ratio, the higher the 1st gear rev at whatever speed you're driving at.
Reply to
Gumby

I agree with Gumby. Even with 3.73's I start in 2nd sometimes. And with the higher HP you have compared to me, I would go with 3.55 gears, especially if you plan on doing any more future power-related mods. UNLESS you are a total-drag-racer-boy... Also, do you go high speeds often? Like above 75? If so, you won't like anything above 3.55 much because your RPMs will be higher. No more cruising at 2K RPM.

Reply to
Scotter

If the car is an automatic.. get the 4.10 gears. If the car is a manual.. get the 3.73 gears. You do not have a T-45 transmission like I do (and I don't like this T-45)... so the 3.73's won't have the exact same impact that it does on my car. Like our RPMs will be diff. due to diff. gearing in the transmission.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

my car is manual and it has the TREMEC transmission.

Reply to
mustangGT_00

Then I'd say 3.73 gears.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

I have a 98 Cobra. Of course it's a manual tranny.

I put the 3.73 gears in mine, It isa nice mix of performance and economy.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I have and 04 GT conv with the Tremac 5 spd., Don't waster your time with

3.73's, At the advice of my local Mustang shop I have 4.10's and am glad I did. There is not much difference between the 2 gas mileage and RPM wise. But the extra bump off the line is great. The stock 327 gears at 70mph ran at about 1700 rpm, 373's will run around 2100 and my 410's run at 2300.
Reply to
Greg Peck

I run 2400RPM's @ 70mph w/ 3.73 gears w/ my T-45 ;(.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

And I run at about 2600 rpm @ 70 mph with the 4:10's w/ an AODE.

Reply to
Richard

Guys, I just got more confused, i see ppl supporting the 3.73, while others going with the 4.10. I'm kinda crazy when driving and drive often over 75 mph. by the way, what's the stock in 2000 Gt, coz that might help me choose. thnx

Reply to
mustangGT_00

If you're kinda crazy when driving then get whatever you want, but stay the f*ck away from me.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Should be 327's with alot of bog down in 5th with the Tremac.

Reply to
Greg Peck

Tremec dude.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Mine is pretty close to that too Mike...

As our poster can see there are MANY different opinions on this subject. He will just have to choose what he thinks is best for his own application.

I like my 3:73's, if I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. They have enough torque to send me sideways in second gear, and that's enough for me.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

See, I like top end too, so I went with the 3.73s. Off the mark 4.10s may be more beneficial for 1/4 mile runs, but to ME I like to hit 100+, and I like to do it as often as I can get away with it. Again, your mileage may differ :) But this is the primary reason I chose the gears I have.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate mph. by the way, what's the stock in 2000 Gt, coz that might help me | > choose. thnx | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Get 3.73s for a manual and 3.55 for an auto.

Reply to
Mark C.