Gunky Ford steering wheels

RAMFM,

Many of you are familiar with the sticky, gunk-collecting steering wheels on 80s and 90s Fords, among others. What would you recommend in terms of a cleaner or solvent? I would rather avoid just wrapping or covering it. Just was thinking there was something commonly by trim shops, dealers or show-car enthusiasts that would be better than any old household cleaner....

Thanks!

Reply to
Wound Up

Try "Goo Gone" or "Goof Off 2" I've even used non Acetone nail polish remover but I'd check in an inconspicuous spot first. Obviously the Tempo is getting the treatment, eh? StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Boy now THERE'S a car Ford can be prond of :-) Kind of along the lines of the Escort and the Chevy Chevette.

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Baby wipes. Bucket of 200 just $1.96 @ WalMart.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

yup they will get that sticky shit off :-P

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

THAT was funny! ;^) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Sure sold a bunch of them little crappers though! The disposable car personified. Remember the EXP/LN7? yikes! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

TurboMike opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com:

Fit the need and still do.... lots of people got them cause they HAD to and fell in love with the ugly buggers.

Dont be too patronizing on those who have and love them (Not me...I'm in love with the MN12)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes, we had few other decent choices when we were buying a car years ago for the money we had. I'm now proud of the homely old thing. It's been across the country many times, endured many hard winters, and NEVER, not once, ever, left me stranded. It did blow a heater core, which lead to a scary Cheech & Chong moment when I hit the defroster, but I made it to work. The fan went while climbing up to Santa Fe in July, and the engine got so hot it rattled badly before I could stop it (shudder), but no problems. Good mileage and cheap parts = more money for the '67!

My mom had a shitvette. I think the Tempo comes out as a BMW in comparison ;)

Reply to
Wound Up

From yet another elitist Bimmer driver. ;)

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe, Bassani Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, GMS MAF, Accufab Throttle Body, Eagle Alloy Wheels
NObluestang98

Mike's cool... got this Attitude, though, which he's "prond" of. 8-) He's a Mustang/Ford enthusiast, with a nice little collection. He's in Mo., too. Drives that BMW for insanely long commutes as I recall...

Reply to
Wound Up

opined

I started doing a lot of people/product watching when I started freeway commuting and posted a little "highway etiquette" on the Company Bulletin Board in the 90's

Among which:

"When in passing lane be aware of whats behind you and if someone is overtaking, do not block them, even if they are greatly exceeding the limit - not YOUR job!"

"Exception being those driving Porsches and BMW's.... they WANT to find their way around plebian obstacles and you may anger them if you move out of the way in the last second"

;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Most definately. Talk about a death trap. Man, I'd rather be in a Metro than one of those damn things.

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Yeah... worse than the bugs she had beforehand. Glad she's a skilled driver! I drove it a few times. Felt like death was imminent at 65.

Reply to
Wound Up

You make me miss my '91 SC. If it didn't have so many problems, I wouldn't have sold it.

Paid $1500 for it, 120k miles and a stick shift. I never thought I'd like a car that big. The suspension was great (electronic shocks still worked) and the car accelerated good for the stock blown 3.8....

Every time I see one I want it.

Which MN12 tickles your fancy?

JS

Reply to
JS

Yeah, I know... just throwin' a little jab at him... note the little ;) I tagged the sentence with. In fact, I'm kind of disappointed he hasn't taken me to task for it yet, maybe he's just not feeling well.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe, Bassani Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, GMS MAF, Accufab Throttle Body, Eagle Alloy Wheels
NObluestang98

JS opined in news:

Alluvvem, great road cars... even as a beater.

I'm on my 2nd 93 3.8L beater total of 150,000 in 4 years.

Late 90's Mark would be great but my wife prefers the taurus

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

All pretty accurate, thanks Tom :-) All in all, I'm a Ford guy above all else. Better trucks, better Pony cars, etc. Other companies are doing things better in other categories though. Sport Compact, for instance. For what I needed, and still do to some extent, this BMW has been a winner. Almost 200K and still runs cleaner than most cars I have had. Its packed full of cool features that make the daily grind enjoyable. Will probably buy another, or at the very least a Lexus IS 300. When money is better I will have another toy as well. Pretty much fell in love with the new GT, but can't afford the pricetag. May even look for a used '03 Cobra one day. Cool thing about being a CAR ENTHUSIAST is the ability to try new things and love every minute of it :-)

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Sounds similar to mine right now. 198xxxK and counting. NO oil useage between changes either.

I just hate the Tempos for the way I fit in them. Most ill-fitting car I've ever been in. An old g-friend had 2 of them.

Glad you've had such good luck. Nothing at all wrong with that.

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Tom? I'm Jason, the STL guy. I think you got your replies mixed up...

All in all, I'm a Ford guy above all else.

That's what I've heard about those cars. I had a friend who had a 325e, and while it was no dragster at all, 80 felt like 55, it was very comfortable, nice amenities, and got good gas mileage due to the low-revving six it had. At 120k he hated to part with it, but did b/c he got a job selling Mercedes. He let me drive and romp with an E 500 for a day. If there ever were a German car I could lust over, this would be it. It's the complete package. I've got some experience with this on a track, and so I got familiar with it, then THREW that thing into an off-camber corner at almost triple the posted limit. It was autumn, and I could see everything, and there were no driveways I couldn't stop for. I got the most exhilarating 4-wheel drift... man... that thing had poise like no other car I've ever driven. I got into my car after that and it was like "what a PIECE".

The lesson? Never buy a performance car new with much more than delivery mileage! :)

Absolutely. I always want to drive people's stuff. Last one was a Volvo S80. Quick as hell, built like a vault. She said "go for it", and then, "I didn't know it could do that"... hee hee...

I'd love to find a clean, low-mileage 03 Cobra in a couple years too... Or I may just force feed my 67, I dunno :)

Reply to
Wound Up