Hatchback Mustangs Never To Return?

-- "Americans don't like hatchbacks."

-- "There have been negative connotations for hatchbacks because they were seen as cheap, like you couldn't afford a car with four doors,"

Are these statements really true? I know when Ford redesigned the Mustang in '94, and discontinued the hatchback, their claimed reason was because of the hatch's lack of body rigidity. But did the factors listed above put the final nails in the coffin of a future hatchback Mustang?

What do you think of a future hatchback Mustang? What's your choice?

1) I say good riddance... I hated the old creaky hatchbacks. 2) I wouldn't buy one, and don't think they fit the Mustang image. 3) I'd at least like to have the choice of a coupe or a hatch. 4) I'd probably buy a hatchback model if it was offered. 5) Hatchback Mustangs were the best of both world's -- versatiliy and performance.

---------- BY JEFF GREEN BLOOMBERG

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG,the world's No. 2 luxury automaker, delayed U.S. sales of a new entry-level 1-Series car because the initial hatchback model was unlikely to appeal to buyers, the company's CEO said this week.

"Americans don't like hatchbacks, and we are still deciding what the best model for the next 1-Series should be," BMW CEO Helmut Panke said in New York.

Since 1990, sales of hatchback model cars in the United States have never exceeded 4.7 percent and typically don't top 2 percent, Lexington, Mass.-based Global Insight Inc. reports. Hatchbacks, with two passenger doors and a door, or hatch, in the back, accounted for

225,000, or 1.4 percent, of 16.6 million cars and trucks sold last year, Global Insight said.

"There have been negative connotations for hatchbacks because they were seen as cheap, like you couldn't afford a car with four doors," said Global Insight analyst Rebecca Lindland. "The attitudes are changing with younger buyers, but the automakers still remember they were unpopular."

BMW introduced a 3-Series hatchback, the 318t, in the United States in

1995, and sales peaked at 7,235 in 1996, Global Insight said. Sales fell every year after that to 700 in 2000, the last year for U.S. sales, Lindland said.

"Our success with the 318t many years ago was less than we expected," said Tom Purves, BMW's North American CEO. "From our perspective, there is not yet a natural hatchback market" in the United States.

Mercedes also will introduce a station-wagon version of a redesigned A-Class, specifically built for the U.S. market, in 2005, spokeswoman Donna Boland said. The A3 is scheduled to go on sale in the United States next year.

Mini sells because Americans don't know it's a hatchback, Purves said.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick
3 for me. I liked the look of 'em... but I don't think *I* would want one. I love my SN-95 body style.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
6) I wouldn't buy one for the same reason I wouldn't buy a convertible.. lack of body structure/stiffness. You can't get good handling if the structure/frame is bending and twisting all over the place. Yes they are convienient and a convertible is fun. However, neither can be a real handler.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Though I would like to have the choice between a notchback and a fastback. One thing that the Fox bodies kept!

Reply to
Scott Williams

I prefer a closed trunk. The hatch back essentially joins the passenger and cargo compartments all the time. Then there is the lack of structure between the wheel wells. The hatch just isn't something that goes well with a performance car IMO.

Reply to
Brent P

Chevy disagrees, and is introducing a hatchback Malibu-wagon style vehicle. VW has the Golf Audi is thinking of releasing the A3 in the U.S.--similar to the Golf. Lexus IS300 SportCross (I know, it's ugly an no one is buying them, but....)

I would keep an open mind to it. I probably wouldn't want another one, as my last experience was a disaster (my 1994 Firebomb). It was great as long as I slammed the hatch on a couple of bunched up socks to prevent it from rattling. What a pile of crap.

An intelligently designed car with a trunk can store an amazing amount of luggage. My A4 and my wife's Saturn L300 have trunks that are cavernous. That suits me well.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Funny you should ask. I was thinking the same thing riding back from an Easter family gathering today..

I like hatchbacks for the utility. They are compact, yet you can fold down the rear seats and carry a surprising sized load. Before my GT, I had a Focus ZX3. I could cary a coffee table and two end tables in it with room to spare. My beater is a 89 Escort I got for $500 a couple years ago. When it croaks, I plan on getting a Forcus or Escort Wagon for even more room. John

Reply to
jriegle

I love my '90 LX 5.0 HB. I have been known to call it the first SUV because it was fast but yet could carry all sorts of cargo like 2x4's, Christmas trees, etc. I just don't spend all of my time zooming around corners.

Reply to
Dave Combs

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

factors

choice?

expected,"

spokeswoman

  1. Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Why don't they just put the engine in the back, shrink it down to a 2 seater with one wheel in the front, and paint some polka-dots on the side.

If you want to drive a Mustang, drive a Mustang. Otherwise buy a different car.

Later, Shaun!

--------

Check out my Homepage

delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!

Reply to
Shadowhawk

So you saw that guys eBay auction too? Did it ever sell?

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I saw a Frasier a while ago with this funny exchange regarding the matter.

I've been referring to my hatchback as a hunchback ever since.

Niles: I know exactly how you feel. This morning I discovered a ding in the door of my car. Frasier: Let me guess - no note on the windshield? Niles: No. And even worse, after I'd left the car off at the body shop, the rental agency didn't have a single luxury car left. They stuck me with some vehicle I believe they call a Hunchback. Frasier: No. I think that would be a Hatchback, Niles. Niles: It's painted panic-button red, with a large rear window that pops open. Frasier: Oh, that would be the Hatchback. Niles: Well, there's a novel idea: name the car after its most hideous feature. I presume it was a toss-up between "Hatchback" and "What's that odor coming from the floor?"

Reply to
Jim S.
1) I say good riddance... I hated the old creaky hatchbacks.
Reply to
Bruce Abrams

I miss having a hatch. My first Mustang, a '74 II, was a hatch. My 2nd Mustang, a '78 II, was a hatch. My 3rd Mustang, a '76 Cobra II, was a hatch. My 4th Mustang, an '83 GT, was a hatch. My 5th Mustang, an '89 GT, was a hatch.

I was disappointed in '94 when the 3 door option was not available, I waited until '98 to replace my abused '89 GT. I was then very disappointed with the '98 GT in general, it was replaced ASAP when I was right side up on the loan with the '00 GT. The trunk opening on the '94 - '04 is worthless, you can barely get a bag of groceries in there. I was really hoping from the looks of the '05 that a hatch would be offered. I wouldn't mind a chassis brace across the rear towers behind the seats, I actually think it would look cool.

Reply to
WraithCobra
  1. Good riddance. Hatchback says AMC Gremlin, VW Rabbit, Ford Fiesta. 'nuff said.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Mike--I'm with you which is why I still drive my 90 LX 5.0 HB daily!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

I love my '87 hatchback. Have had it for 14 years with absolutely no intention of ever getting rid of it.

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

That's why subframe connectors exist. Made a world of difference in my '91 HB. No more squeaks or rattles. Power goes to the road instead of torquing the body.

Don

Reply to
munged

Thats a big help but theres no substitute for structure.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Hmmmm.. Let's see Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, AMC Gremlin...

Joe '03 Gt Vert

Reply to
joe