Help, intermittent problem 94 Mustang GT

Just picked up a 94 Mustang GT for my wife 100,000 miles. It seems to have a small problem. It stalled on her last night at highway speed. She was able to start it back up after a few tries while on the side of the road. This morning it started for her and she went on some errands. When she went to come home, it wouldn't start. Towed it to the repair shop (where we have had years of great service on other cars) and they went out to it about 5 hours later and it started right up. They checked the battery, starter, and alternator, all checked out good. They are going to keep it for a few more days to see if they can get the problem to repeat. They offered that it could be the fuel pump, but they don't want to throw parts at the car and have it not be the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check or on what the problem could be. Any common problems with 94s or 94 GTs. They also said that it could be electrical but won't know until the problem repeats. My wife doesn't want to drive the car for fear of being stranded. Any suggestion would help. The computer is not throwing any codes. Maybe the computer itself could be bad?

Thanks,

-RJ

Reply to
Arjay

there were some posts about this a few times that I can remember and it was diagnosed as a pink and white wire in the steering column I believe it was broken. You'll get more response because there were a few that had the same problem exactly as you described.

Verticalrich

95GT vert

Reply to
Verticalrich

I had similar problems with my 94GT - it would stall driving at 40mph, but would occassionally catch itself and restart (imagine a push start but while driving). More often, it would stall out while slowing for lights/cornering. Once it stalled, it would take a couple hours of sitting before it would start again.

It turned out to be the stator module (in the bottom of the distributor assembly). I have since found other posts on stangnet stating the same symptoms and problems.

Reply to
Robert Fleming

Sounds to me like a control module and/or ingition coil.... but most likely the module.

--stang_racin

Reply to
Doug Turner

Ooo... yeah... '94 GT would still be the TFI ignition system...

I'd look to be checking and replacing that. They have issues with heat and, over time, the thermal compound that keeps it cold solidifies and cracks up, and just quits working. The TFI follows suit.

JS

Reply to
JS

I am replacing the fuel pump right as we speak. I am waiting for a new gasket which broke when I pulled the fuel filler pipe out of the tank.

I had the hardest time with getting the right part for this fuel pump. When I went to Advanced Auto, they gave me a fuel pump (after I paid) and I came home and dropped the tank. The electrical connection did not fit. The one in the FORD harness had a black connecter that the leads went to. The one from advanced auto had two separate pegs for the leads to slip onto. Well, didn't fit and I didn't plan on making a new connection and having it fail in the tank.

So I returned the part and ordered a complete assembly. Next day I go in and open the box and it is a dirty, corroded used one. One more day and the part comes in. I just slipped it in the tank and hope to have the tank re-hung in a few hours.

When I pulled the old pump it had a date on it of 11/02 so I figured that it being only 6 months old, probably wasn't bad anyways. Oh, well, one step at a time. The shop wanted ~$550 to do this job, so the $115 for the pump assembly is cheap (oh yeah, $20 for the gasket). I also cleaned up the fuel filter bracket that was all rusty, and the fuel pump retaining ring which was also rusty. No shop would have done that.

I also installed a new fuel filter too. The old one didn't look that old, it had discolored a bit, but looked okay.

Hey, worth a shot.

-RJ

Rein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Arjay

Rein

Well as of today I have done the following. Just finished this morning so I don't know if the problem has gone away or not.

New 180 degree F thermostat New Ignition Control Module New Sparkplugs - Autolight Copper New Plug Wires New Distributor Cap New Rotor New Coil

Hope this works - all for under $150.

-Arjay

Arjay wrote in news:GayRa.2427$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
Arjay

Today I cleaned the battery cables. Soaked them in baking soda and water and cleaned up all of the metal parts and the two ground wires right next to the battery.

Seems to crank better now.

I also changed the oil with synthetic.

-Arjay

Arjay wrote in news:GCgSa.3443$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
Arjay

Wouldn't start again for my wife.

Replaced Battery.

Worked for a bit.

Wouldn't start again

Towed to Ford Dealer. When it got off of the truck, it started. They are going to look at it.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the trip on the tow truck shook something back into place.

-Arjay

Arjay wrote in news:PIGSa.3543$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
Arjay

Okay. It only didn't start once for the Ford dealer and that was when they were going to pull it into the service bay and didn't have any equipment hooked up to it. One week later and a $76 diagnostic fee, nothing done, no solution. So we picked the car back up.

Drove fine for a day, Then next morning wouldn't start sitting in the driveway. My wife rolled it down to the bottom of the driveway, which is on a hill, and while flat, still wouldn't start. So I called the Ford dealer. I told him that we were only 2 miles away, but have had bad luck with it starting after a tow truck ride. After only a little bit of persuation, they sent a tech to the house. Who would have figured. I talked to the tech and he said "if it is not starting now, don't touch it" Waited for him to come, he checked it out and finally it would not start for him (remember this is the second shop we had it towed to, both couldn't find the problem because it kept on starting once it was off the tow truck).

So diagnosis is that it is the Stator (hall effect sensor). Which I figured was the only thing that I hadn't replaced on the car so maybe I led them to that answer. Will get the car back on Monday or Tuesday and see if it is fixed. They are charging $212 for parts+labor, not too bad for a part that I didn't want to tackle myself for fear of screwing it up.

The reason for posting all of this is for future use of someone, as I have been helped by old postings too.

Thanks, Arjay

Arjay wrote in news:2wTUa.7414$Ad4.3193113 @news3.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
Arjay