I love the smell of carnuba in the morning

Temperature hit 53 last Saturday, the first time since I bought the GT in November that I could hand-wash and wax the convertible. (And, damn, that blue came up nice!)

Now that Donna and the rest of the Carolinians have taken all of the snow that might have hit the Philly area this weekend, we're blessed with high

50s, possible 60s tomorrow! The top is down. I'll be "detailing" the engine bay today (also for the first time), and then Jean and I are cruising tomorrow!

Meanwhile, there's a black LX out front that's begging for about four hours of my time. Ahhhh, there's nothing like smearing carnuba on a black hood and then buffing it to a deep, blinding shine.

Hmmmm. Must be spring!

:()

(gettin' ready for Nashville)

Reply to
dwight
** Meanwhile, there's a black LX out front that's begging for about four hours ** of my time. Ahhhh, there's nothing like smearing carnuba on a black hood and ** then buffing it to a deep, blinding shine. ** ** Hmmmm. Must be spring!

Oh man, don't tease me like that! It has rained steadily for two weeks now, and this morning it finally stopped, but when I went out for an early run, it was 29 degrees out and ice was everywhere. ARRGGG!! I nearly froze my bag-ass off. I can't even *think* about applying essential polishes and oils to Charlene for another month here.

So much for all that Sunny California nonsense ..bleh.

Reply to
JD Adams

man I know the feeling. Wear your arms out working on your babies for hours upon hours but damn it's so worth it.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

You got that Mr. Clean car washer thingy, right?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I just picked one up today. Can't wait to try it out but the forecast is rain so I won't bother yet.

Speaking of wax; Anyone here using 'klasse' for waxing/polishing ? Hear some good things about it so thought I'd try it out and ordered some. It claims to last longer than regular waxes. Pretty important here since it gets so hot and regular wax won't last long. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Haven't tried it. Lemme know how it works though please =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Never heard of it, but I don't think I want anything with "Mr. Clean" in the title anywhere near my cars.

Nah, I took the GT over to the local hose-n-go for a light cleaning. The black LX took a LOT more water, and a lot more soap. It really was disgusting, having sat out on the street through a light snow and subsequent thaw. In fact, for the first time EVER, the neighbor complained about my dirty car.

(He was teasing, of course.)

I did get to wash out the engine bay on the ragtop, though. Very pleased with that. God forbid I have to take it to the shop with a dirty engine bay.

Now I'm ready for tomorrow - 60 degrees and two clean Mustangs. And no football. Whatever shall I do with my time?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Rein

Thx Rein. you da man.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The best wax/polish I have used is actaully a boat wax made by star-brite. It's got teflon in it too so it is really slick and the water beads off really good. Plus when you have a coat of teflon on it, it's really easy to wash. It brings out a really good shine on my white truck as well, better than ny other wax/polish I have tried, and I have tried alot. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

OK, someone post the cupon link again for Dwight.....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Where can ya get it?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Rein

Reply to
cobra boy

Welp... I had my hopes up that I was finally gonna get to wash, dry, and wax my baby today. I grab the towels & wax... open the door....... *GASP*.. it's POURING.. well stubborn me (shup) decides that I'm gonna do it anyway. I take it to my favorite car wash (I live in a townhouse, so I don't have a driveway & hose >:[ ) and get her washed real good.. rain stops when I started washing. I get out some towels & dry her real good... now.. I thought that she was lookin pretty good. Then.. I get out the good 'ol Meguiars Cleaner Wax (never tried it before... this is my first time trying it.. last time I used Meguiars Clear Coat Wax & it worked great).. it turns out that it works almost exactly the same as the clear coat wax in appearance... I am curious as to how well it'll hold up though & how long. The clear coat wax held up real well for the first 2-3 months... still looked good afterwards.. just not as much beading, etc. Anyway... I am impressed yet again with Meguiars products. Spent about 3-3.5 hours total washing, drying, and waxing her.. but damn she's a mirror on 4 wheels now! Anybody ever tried that Eagle One metal polish stuff? It smells like Brasso... if you know what that is (also a metal polish).. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike, If you really want to get some good information on waxes get the Guru report on car waxes. They tested 46 waxes for the report and they are an independent group not owned by any company. There are a lot of good tips in the report on care for your finish also. The guy that wrote the reports also post to the detailing group in roadfly.com. There is a lot of good information on that forum about taking care of your cars paint, interior, etc. A lot of professional detailers post there.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Sweet man, Thanks a lot!! =)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Rein

To make a long story short (the report is 52 pages long) the one wax that really stood out was the Zaino Brothers system. It proved to be a lot more durable than any of the others and had the best and deepest shine. I bought some last fall and used it on my black GT and it really gives it a deep wet looking shine. Its a fair amount of work and takes quite a while to put on a couple of coats but it looks great. There is a lot of good info on the Zaino waxes in the FAQ sticky in the roadfly forum. There web site also has a lot of info but the roadfly forum goes into a lot more detail, HTH.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Rein